What is not cheap is getting a system installed with all the approved piping etc. I plan on doing all the pipe runs myself before the drywallers come in.
I just wanted 8 heads, one for each bedroom and then to cover the escape routes as well. I know the system won't be professionally designed and I don't intend to pass it off as a sprinklered home, but after watching a duplex across the street burn down I wanted some protection.
I ended up with 18 heads, basically protecting most of the house. Don't have final costs for materials yet, but will post if anyone is interested.
Lots of things to consider, like, I wanted to just run the sprinkler pipe to a toilet so it would have water flowing through it regularly and won't have to flush it. But then I can't use a flow switch ($100). The flow switch will be hooked to my alarm system and call me if it is activated. I don't want a phone call every time my son flushes his toilet.
You also need backflow prevention($150), you don't want stale water getting back into your drinking supply.
The piping used is PVC rated for high temperatures, it is dyed orange. Typically it is 1 inch diameter, some systems are 3/4", but that may not be enough water.
You might not have enough water anyway since alot of residual water meters are 5/8 inch.
Think it thru, my original intent was that if one head popped and put out a fire it was all worth it. But there is alot of planning and design.
to rebuild or tear down a fire damaged home?
To buiild a new home or repair a fire damaged home
Home Fire Sprinklers
Aging Electrical Wiring in the USA
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs