What is not cheap is getting a system installed with all the approved piping etc. I plan on doing all the pipe runs myself before the drywallers come in.
I just wanted 8 heads, one for each bedroom and then to cover the escape routes as well. I know the system won't be professionally designed and I don't intend to pass it off as a sprinklered home, but after watching a duplex across the street burn down I wanted some protection.
I ended up with 18 heads, basically protecting most of the house. Don't have final costs for materials yet, but will post if anyone is interested.
Lots of things to consider, like, I wanted to just run the sprinkler pipe to a toilet so it would have water flowing through it regularly and won't have to flush it. But then I can't use a flow switch ($100). The flow switch will be hooked to my alarm system and call me if it is activated. I don't want a phone call every time my son flushes his toilet.
You also need backflow prevention($150), you don't want stale water getting back into your drinking supply.
The piping used is PVC rated for high temperatures, it is dyed orange. Typically it is 1 inch diameter, some systems are 3/4", but that may not be enough water.
You might not have enough water anyway since alot of residual water meters are 5/8 inch.
Think it thru, my original intent was that if one head popped and put out a fire it was all worth it. But there is alot of planning and design.
to rebuild or tear down a fire damaged home?
To buiild a new home or repair a fire damaged home
Home Fire Sprinklers
Aging Electrical Wiring in the USA
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees