Your best bet would be to change them out with i/c remodel cans.
Icaman or electricmanscott may have a better answer.
If you can use the covers, it would be both cheaper and easier than replacing the cans.
I was looking for the same thing because all of mine are black inside and I'd recently heard that a white or reflective housing will double your useable light. Something to consider when you find yours. One disappointment for me is that they wanted $9 each for those pieces of plastic.
(Guess we're no longer allowed to name that big-box home improvement place.)
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 18, 2002).]
The difference in the amount of light is incredible. My old inserts were black on the inside, and I swear they reduced the light by 1/2. Now I need to add dimmers to some places that didn't need them before.
Also fyi: the box said 7", but they fit a 6" hole.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited March 13, 2002).]
I looked at the "remodel" units at Home Depot and I see how they fit. But I think the frames of the old units are in the way.
Also, it looks nearly impossible to disconnect the the wiring on the old units and rewire the new ones without cutting out the ceiling.
Is there a secret to doing all this through those 6" holes?
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 11, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!