Your best bet would be to change them out with i/c remodel cans.
Icaman or electricmanscott may have a better answer.
If you can use the covers, it would be both cheaper and easier than replacing the cans.
I was looking for the same thing because all of mine are black inside and I'd recently heard that a white or reflective housing will double your useable light. Something to consider when you find yours. One disappointment for me is that they wanted $9 each for those pieces of plastic.
(Guess we're no longer allowed to name that big-box home improvement place.)
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 18, 2002).]
The difference in the amount of light is incredible. My old inserts were black on the inside, and I swear they reduced the light by 1/2. Now I need to add dimmers to some places that didn't need them before.
Also fyi: the box said 7", but they fit a 6" hole.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited March 13, 2002).]
I looked at the "remodel" units at Home Depot and I see how they fit. But I think the frames of the old units are in the way.
Also, it looks nearly impossible to disconnect the the wiring on the old units and rewire the new ones without cutting out the ceiling.
Is there a secret to doing all this through those 6" holes?
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 11, 2002).]
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING