Your best bet would be to change them out with i/c remodel cans.
Icaman or electricmanscott may have a better answer.
If you can use the covers, it would be both cheaper and easier than replacing the cans.
I was looking for the same thing because all of mine are black inside and I'd recently heard that a white or reflective housing will double your useable light. Something to consider when you find yours. One disappointment for me is that they wanted $9 each for those pieces of plastic.
(Guess we're no longer allowed to name that big-box home improvement place.)
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited February 18, 2002).]
The difference in the amount of light is incredible. My old inserts were black on the inside, and I swear they reduced the light by 1/2. Now I need to add dimmers to some places that didn't need them before.
Also fyi: the box said 7", but they fit a 6" hole.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited March 13, 2002).]
I looked at the "remodel" units at Home Depot and I see how they fit. But I think the frames of the old units are in the way.
Also, it looks nearly impossible to disconnect the the wiring on the old units and rewire the new ones without cutting out the ceiling.
Is there a secret to doing all this through those 6" holes?
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited November 11, 2002).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love