Adding new light fixture to existing 3-Way wiring
If that's the case, you should be able to determine which wires from switch 2 are being used at the existing fixture and connect to the same ones for the new fixture.
I believe you've taken one connection for the new light from the wrong side of switch 1. Take it from the common.
If I read you right, there is a 2wire to switch 1, a 3wire from switch 1 to switch 2, and a 2wire from switch 2 to the existing fixture. Is this correct? If so, you should not be connecting any of the wires from the 3wire to the new fixture. That will result in "mixed-up" operation.
Whichever switch has the wire going from it to the existing fixture is the one you gotta get to the new fixture.
Another way to think of it is that both fixtures must be on the same "side" of the switches. And neither may be "between" the two switches. I'll try to illustrate below.
.. | . |
.. | . |
.. | . |
The two fixtures must be wired in parallel rather than in series relative to each other.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 21, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps