Adding new light fixture to existing 3-Way wiring
If that's the case, you should be able to determine which wires from switch 2 are being used at the existing fixture and connect to the same ones for the new fixture.
I believe you've taken one connection for the new light from the wrong side of switch 1. Take it from the common.
If I read you right, there is a 2wire to switch 1, a 3wire from switch 1 to switch 2, and a 2wire from switch 2 to the existing fixture. Is this correct? If so, you should not be connecting any of the wires from the 3wire to the new fixture. That will result in "mixed-up" operation.
Whichever switch has the wire going from it to the existing fixture is the one you gotta get to the new fixture.
Another way to think of it is that both fixtures must be on the same "side" of the switches. And neither may be "between" the two switches. I'll try to illustrate below.
.. | . |
.. | . |
.. | . |
The two fixtures must be wired in parallel rather than in series relative to each other.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 21, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!