Adding new light fixture to existing 3-Way wiring
If that's the case, you should be able to determine which wires from switch 2 are being used at the existing fixture and connect to the same ones for the new fixture.
I believe you've taken one connection for the new light from the wrong side of switch 1. Take it from the common.
If I read you right, there is a 2wire to switch 1, a 3wire from switch 1 to switch 2, and a 2wire from switch 2 to the existing fixture. Is this correct? If so, you should not be connecting any of the wires from the 3wire to the new fixture. That will result in "mixed-up" operation.
Whichever switch has the wire going from it to the existing fixture is the one you gotta get to the new fixture.
Another way to think of it is that both fixtures must be on the same "side" of the switches. And neither may be "between" the two switches. I'll try to illustrate below.
.. | . |
.. | . |
.. | . |
The two fixtures must be wired in parallel rather than in series relative to each other.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 21, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps