Adding new light fixture to existing 3-Way wiring
If that's the case, you should be able to determine which wires from switch 2 are being used at the existing fixture and connect to the same ones for the new fixture.
I believe you've taken one connection for the new light from the wrong side of switch 1. Take it from the common.
If I read you right, there is a 2wire to switch 1, a 3wire from switch 1 to switch 2, and a 2wire from switch 2 to the existing fixture. Is this correct? If so, you should not be connecting any of the wires from the 3wire to the new fixture. That will result in "mixed-up" operation.
Whichever switch has the wire going from it to the existing fixture is the one you gotta get to the new fixture.
Another way to think of it is that both fixtures must be on the same "side" of the switches. And neither may be "between" the two switches. I'll try to illustrate below.
.. | . |
.. | . |
.. | . |
The two fixtures must be wired in parallel rather than in series relative to each other.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 21, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY