Adding new light fixture to existing 3-Way wiring
If that's the case, you should be able to determine which wires from switch 2 are being used at the existing fixture and connect to the same ones for the new fixture.
I believe you've taken one connection for the new light from the wrong side of switch 1. Take it from the common.
If I read you right, there is a 2wire to switch 1, a 3wire from switch 1 to switch 2, and a 2wire from switch 2 to the existing fixture. Is this correct? If so, you should not be connecting any of the wires from the 3wire to the new fixture. That will result in "mixed-up" operation.
Whichever switch has the wire going from it to the existing fixture is the one you gotta get to the new fixture.
Another way to think of it is that both fixtures must be on the same "side" of the switches. And neither may be "between" the two switches. I'll try to illustrate below.
.. | . |
.. | . |
.. | . |
The two fixtures must be wired in parallel rather than in series relative to each other.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited January 21, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes