KITCHEN UNDERCOUNTER LIGHTS
I had to raise my cupboards by 4 inches, and I was really concerned that you would easily see the Halogen lights & wiring, so I bought 1/4 Maple Plywood, and I cut ceilings for every cupboard. I then took 1 x 2 maple lenghts, and I routed edges out, 1/4" deep, so that when I screwed these 1 x 2's to the edges of teh existing cupboards, the plywood would just slot in. I then cut round holes for the Halogen lights, which are all connected to a dimmer.
Now when you get beneath the cabinets, you just see this wonderful maple plywood, and the halogens, dimmed.
It was probably about 2 weekends work for an average kitchen, but so well worth it.
If you have those little puck lights you may have created a fire hazard. Gennerally those are not to be mounted in an enclosed area where the back side will not be open for ventilation.
e-manscott, I tried to consider the ventilation & will use molding around the edges that'll let me put vent space (1/2")between the bottom of the cabinet & the boards that the lights are mounted in. I'm also going to cut the mounting boards less than full-cabinet depth to let the air circulate out the back, by the backsplash.
Just my 2 cents.
'preciate it. I got similar feedback from an electrician buddy.
To account for the time of day & need for use, I put them on dimmers.
That is the link for the light I had installed. I'm a bit nervous now with all our comments. Please do me a favor and have a look at them ok? Let me know what you think? I dont really WANT to replace them BUT if they are unsafe its simpally a must do then.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects