KITCHEN UNDERCOUNTER LIGHTS
I had to raise my cupboards by 4 inches, and I was really concerned that you would easily see the Halogen lights & wiring, so I bought 1/4 Maple Plywood, and I cut ceilings for every cupboard. I then took 1 x 2 maple lenghts, and I routed edges out, 1/4" deep, so that when I screwed these 1 x 2's to the edges of teh existing cupboards, the plywood would just slot in. I then cut round holes for the Halogen lights, which are all connected to a dimmer.
Now when you get beneath the cabinets, you just see this wonderful maple plywood, and the halogens, dimmed.
It was probably about 2 weekends work for an average kitchen, but so well worth it.
If you have those little puck lights you may have created a fire hazard. Gennerally those are not to be mounted in an enclosed area where the back side will not be open for ventilation.
e-manscott, I tried to consider the ventilation & will use molding around the edges that'll let me put vent space (1/2")between the bottom of the cabinet & the boards that the lights are mounted in. I'm also going to cut the mounting boards less than full-cabinet depth to let the air circulate out the back, by the backsplash.
Just my 2 cents.
'preciate it. I got similar feedback from an electrician buddy.
To account for the time of day & need for use, I put them on dimmers.
That is the link for the light I had installed. I'm a bit nervous now with all our comments. Please do me a favor and have a look at them ok? Let me know what you think? I dont really WANT to replace them BUT if they are unsafe its simpally a must do then.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes