KITCHEN UNDERCOUNTER LIGHTS
I had to raise my cupboards by 4 inches, and I was really concerned that you would easily see the Halogen lights & wiring, so I bought 1/4 Maple Plywood, and I cut ceilings for every cupboard. I then took 1 x 2 maple lenghts, and I routed edges out, 1/4" deep, so that when I screwed these 1 x 2's to the edges of teh existing cupboards, the plywood would just slot in. I then cut round holes for the Halogen lights, which are all connected to a dimmer.
Now when you get beneath the cabinets, you just see this wonderful maple plywood, and the halogens, dimmed.
It was probably about 2 weekends work for an average kitchen, but so well worth it.
If you have those little puck lights you may have created a fire hazard. Gennerally those are not to be mounted in an enclosed area where the back side will not be open for ventilation.
e-manscott, I tried to consider the ventilation & will use molding around the edges that'll let me put vent space (1/2")between the bottom of the cabinet & the boards that the lights are mounted in. I'm also going to cut the mounting boards less than full-cabinet depth to let the air circulate out the back, by the backsplash.
Just my 2 cents.
'preciate it. I got similar feedback from an electrician buddy.
To account for the time of day & need for use, I put them on dimmers.
That is the link for the light I had installed. I'm a bit nervous now with all our comments. Please do me a favor and have a look at them ok? Let me know what you think? I dont really WANT to replace them BUT if they are unsafe its simpally a must do then.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!