KITCHEN UNDERCOUNTER LIGHTS
I had to raise my cupboards by 4 inches, and I was really concerned that you would easily see the Halogen lights & wiring, so I bought 1/4 Maple Plywood, and I cut ceilings for every cupboard. I then took 1 x 2 maple lenghts, and I routed edges out, 1/4" deep, so that when I screwed these 1 x 2's to the edges of teh existing cupboards, the plywood would just slot in. I then cut round holes for the Halogen lights, which are all connected to a dimmer.
Now when you get beneath the cabinets, you just see this wonderful maple plywood, and the halogens, dimmed.
It was probably about 2 weekends work for an average kitchen, but so well worth it.
If you have those little puck lights you may have created a fire hazard. Gennerally those are not to be mounted in an enclosed area where the back side will not be open for ventilation.
e-manscott, I tried to consider the ventilation & will use molding around the edges that'll let me put vent space (1/2")between the bottom of the cabinet & the boards that the lights are mounted in. I'm also going to cut the mounting boards less than full-cabinet depth to let the air circulate out the back, by the backsplash.
Just my 2 cents.
'preciate it. I got similar feedback from an electrician buddy.
To account for the time of day & need for use, I put them on dimmers.
That is the link for the light I had installed. I'm a bit nervous now with all our comments. Please do me a favor and have a look at them ok? Let me know what you think? I dont really WANT to replace them BUT if they are unsafe its simpally a must do then.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs