Cheap or expensive-is there a difference
That said, yes there is a difference in quality from one fixture to another. Many brass fixtures will tarnish in a short time, while others will stay good looking for many years. Since this is a new house, my advice is to go with quality -- if you can tell which is which. It's hard to do by looking at it, or by the price tag.
a. Quality reflector coatings and shapes (stamped, hydroformed or assembled?) means more light out of fixture, means more efficiency and fewer fixtures
b. Quality built transformers will not hum or buzz
c. Quality built housings will flush against a ceiling, and install faster, meaning that your installation labor drops. Quality housings will securely hold the lamp without vibration, meaning longer lamp life. They will not amplify transformer or filament noise into a room.
d. Buy the highest quality you can afford.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes