I hate to sound like a novice... but I am. So here goes. I have recessed lighting throughout my house and I would like to change some in the kitchen to the lights that hang down. How do I convert these without having to fill in that big hole that is left after I take out a recessed light. (I only know how to use spackle and I'm not sure it will cover that big of a hole) A lighting store in my area had a fantastic adapter that they explained just slipped into place which included a transformer. It was 240 bucks without the light fixture! Is that the going rate? If so, I'm certain my husband will ask me to stop looking at pottery barn.
The light fixtures that require transformers are low-voltage fixtures. You can find any number of "regular" fixtures (that use 120 volts) and don't require expensive transformers. Keep looking.
I can't think of any good retrofits for this situation. You will have to remove the recessed lights and install proper junction boxes to terminate the wiring and attach the light fixtures. Probably not a low budget job.
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers