I hate to sound like a novice... but I am. So here goes. I have recessed lighting throughout my house and I would like to change some in the kitchen to the lights that hang down. How do I convert these without having to fill in that big hole that is left after I take out a recessed light. (I only know how to use spackle and I'm not sure it will cover that big of a hole) A lighting store in my area had a fantastic adapter that they explained just slipped into place which included a transformer. It was 240 bucks without the light fixture! Is that the going rate? If so, I'm certain my husband will ask me to stop looking at pottery barn.
The light fixtures that require transformers are low-voltage fixtures. You can find any number of "regular" fixtures (that use 120 volts) and don't require expensive transformers. Keep looking.
I can't think of any good retrofits for this situation. You will have to remove the recessed lights and install proper junction boxes to terminate the wiring and attach the light fixtures. Probably not a low budget job.
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes