I hate to sound like a novice... but I am. So here goes. I have recessed lighting throughout my house and I would like to change some in the kitchen to the lights that hang down. How do I convert these without having to fill in that big hole that is left after I take out a recessed light. (I only know how to use spackle and I'm not sure it will cover that big of a hole) A lighting store in my area had a fantastic adapter that they explained just slipped into place which included a transformer. It was 240 bucks without the light fixture! Is that the going rate? If so, I'm certain my husband will ask me to stop looking at pottery barn.
The light fixtures that require transformers are low-voltage fixtures. You can find any number of "regular" fixtures (that use 120 volts) and don't require expensive transformers. Keep looking.
I can't think of any good retrofits for this situation. You will have to remove the recessed lights and install proper junction boxes to terminate the wiring and attach the light fixtures. Probably not a low budget job.
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?