I hate to sound like a novice... but I am. So here goes. I have recessed lighting throughout my house and I would like to change some in the kitchen to the lights that hang down. How do I convert these without having to fill in that big hole that is left after I take out a recessed light. (I only know how to use spackle and I'm not sure it will cover that big of a hole) A lighting store in my area had a fantastic adapter that they explained just slipped into place which included a transformer. It was 240 bucks without the light fixture! Is that the going rate? If so, I'm certain my husband will ask me to stop looking at pottery barn.
The light fixtures that require transformers are low-voltage fixtures. You can find any number of "regular" fixtures (that use 120 volts) and don't require expensive transformers. Keep looking.
I can't think of any good retrofits for this situation. You will have to remove the recessed lights and install proper junction boxes to terminate the wiring and attach the light fixtures. Probably not a low budget job.
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight