I like the idea of low voltage recesssed halogen lights but my local hardware superstore stocks mostly line voltage fixtures. Are the low voltage fixtures unpopular for some reason?
No, in fact I prefer the low voltage tracks. The difference is aesthetics. With line voltage systems you must use a 110V bulb which I think comes in only 1 size or you must use transformers at each lamp fixture on the track, this makes them bulky. Also the tack must be a "U" shaped track to protect the line voltage conductors inside. With low voltage tracks you get much more design flexibility, the tracks can be wires, tape or track. The lamps can be anything the imagination can come up with. In Europe all the stores have gone to low voltage halogen display lights. Mostly with am MR16 bulb hanging down on a thin stem.
You actually get stronger light from the low voltage lamps! In addition now that the transformers are located right at the fixture it is so easy to install them. I'm in the process of installing the Lightolier 3 1/4" recessed cans and they are great -- small, adjustable, easy to install. Can't wait until I'm done!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!