Hi, all! First let me say that I am a total novice in terms of home repair so I may not use the correct terms in describing my problem. I would like to install a dimmer switch for my living room overhead lights. The problem is that the current on/off switch for the living room is part of a unit of two switches, the other switch being for the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen on a regular on/off switch. I thought I could just replace the initial two-switch unit with a dimmer switch for the living room and a single on/off switch for the kitchen but it doesn't look like I can do that without widening the hole in the wall and replacing the metal box with one that can hold two single switches. Like I said, I'm a novice and I don't want to do any of that for fear I'll screw things up.
I was wondering if could find a two-switch unit like the one I have now only with one being a dimmer switch. The ones I've found on the market are really only meant to be wired to the same light.
Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help you could give me.
Hunter Ceiling Fan with remote, A few issues with wa...
Problem with 3-way switch
Dimmer switch on low voltage lights possible?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers