Hi, all! First let me say that I am a total novice in terms of home repair so I may not use the correct terms in describing my problem. I would like to install a dimmer switch for my living room overhead lights. The problem is that the current on/off switch for the living room is part of a unit of two switches, the other switch being for the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen on a regular on/off switch. I thought I could just replace the initial two-switch unit with a dimmer switch for the living room and a single on/off switch for the kitchen but it doesn't look like I can do that without widening the hole in the wall and replacing the metal box with one that can hold two single switches. Like I said, I'm a novice and I don't want to do any of that for fear I'll screw things up.
I was wondering if could find a two-switch unit like the one I have now only with one being a dimmer switch. The ones I've found on the market are really only meant to be wired to the same light.
Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help you could give me.
Hunter Ceiling Fan with remote, A few issues with wa...
Problem with 3-way switch
Dimmer switch on low voltage lights possible?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight