Hi, all! First let me say that I am a total novice in terms of home repair so I may not use the correct terms in describing my problem. I would like to install a dimmer switch for my living room overhead lights. The problem is that the current on/off switch for the living room is part of a unit of two switches, the other switch being for the kitchen. I would like to keep the kitchen on a regular on/off switch. I thought I could just replace the initial two-switch unit with a dimmer switch for the living room and a single on/off switch for the kitchen but it doesn't look like I can do that without widening the hole in the wall and replacing the metal box with one that can hold two single switches. Like I said, I'm a novice and I don't want to do any of that for fear I'll screw things up.
I was wondering if could find a two-switch unit like the one I have now only with one being a dimmer switch. The ones I've found on the market are really only meant to be wired to the same light.
Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help you could give me.
Hunter Ceiling Fan with remote, A few issues with wa...
Dimmer switch for ceiling fan/light
Problem with 3-way switch
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips