I am trying to activate a set of 2 3way switches which were installed in my house when it was built. The line has never been used and in fact there was no light on it.Now I'm trying to install a light on the line.
I've tried to hook it up using internet diagrams but no luck. I think I understand how it is supposed to work, but the thing that I don't understand is that the voltage on the line that I think is the power in line is considerably less than 110, it looks like it might be 50 or so volts. Does this mean I have a breaker problem, a wiring problem or what???
Are you using a digital meter? I know one can pick up ghost/phantom voltages when using one investigating 3-way switch configurations. search this bbs for DVM or digital meter I know I ran across extensive information on this in either this forum (lighting) or possibly kitchen/bathroom or electrical area. You might also review old posts on 3-way switches in electrical. If memory serves TomO has posted extensively on this subject replying to others, on how you wire and how to test line voltages.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!