Hi all. I bought some cheap "Hampton Bay" motion sensor lights at my local home depot. The range was supposed to be 30 feet. I got the darn things installed, but they seem to have a range closer to 60-75 feet...and that is on the lowest setting! people on the sidewalk and even cars in the street are turning the darn things on! Rather than un-install 3 lights and start over with "honey, how are theses?"; is there some hidden way to decrease the sensitivity? How about some sort of tape or film on the sensor to restrict it a bit?
Rob, I've installed them as well.I have sensors on mine, in my back yard. They have a 170 degree L-R Angle. Nut the North-South Angle has to be right as well. Make sure that the angle that you have them set at, is correct.Sounds like you have to lower the angle.
Problem is, these are fixed. The sensor is a part of the entire light housing. (not security lights, just front porch type)
I install Security systems and have quite an extensive background with motions. If the motion uses microwave technology, that will see through walls and everything. It cannot be masked. If its an Infrared type, It can be masked with say electrical tape. We sometimes use this and put a small strip on the inside of the lens cover to "mask" a certain area. Start at the top and work your way down say a 1/4 in. at a time at walk test as you go.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!