Thanks for any insight.
X10 Wireless Security systems
Thanks for any insight.
This was all useful to me because my electric provider used to offer discounts for usage during off-peak hours. The equipment quickly paid for itself and was relilable. Now I only use the small equipment switches for remote control of lights, etc.
The computer-controlled unit's software was based on old-level DOS, which I no longer have. There's probably an update for Windows but I haven't bothered to get it.
The timer seemed to lose a couple of minutes a month, so had to be reset now and then.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited December 03, 2001).]
Suggest hiding this unit better than out in plain sight.
Also check out smarthome.com (i think) they have better rocker light switches. The X-10 version are cheap and dont hold up.
And the last thing is remember if you get the camaras, even though they are wireless the still need to have power!! So they have to be near an outlet or run a long line form the transformer.
Pick up an Ademco Lynx wireless panel from a local security system vendor or buy it online from http://www.homesecuritystore.com/. Not much harder to install but is a real security panel (actually it's rebranded and sold by ADT too). You don't have to add monitoring if you don't need it, but have the option to later on.
It's a little more pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Choosing network systems
Any advice on the "best" home security system.
Door chains a weak link in home security
Home automation with iPhone®: things you should know
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight