Thanks for any insight.
X10 Wireless Security systems
Thanks for any insight.
This was all useful to me because my electric provider used to offer discounts for usage during off-peak hours. The equipment quickly paid for itself and was relilable. Now I only use the small equipment switches for remote control of lights, etc.
The computer-controlled unit's software was based on old-level DOS, which I no longer have. There's probably an update for Windows but I haven't bothered to get it.
The timer seemed to lose a couple of minutes a month, so had to be reset now and then.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited December 03, 2001).]
Suggest hiding this unit better than out in plain sight.
Also check out smarthome.com (i think) they have better rocker light switches. The X-10 version are cheap and dont hold up.
And the last thing is remember if you get the camaras, even though they are wireless the still need to have power!! So they have to be near an outlet or run a long line form the transformer.
Pick up an Ademco Lynx wireless panel from a local security system vendor or buy it online from http://www.homesecuritystore.com/. Not much harder to install but is a real security panel (actually it's rebranded and sold by ADT too). You don't have to add monitoring if you don't need it, but have the option to later on.
It's a little more pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Choosing network systems
Any advice on the "best" home security system.
Door chains a weak link in home security
Home automation with iPhone®: things you should know
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs