Thanks for any insight.
X10 Wireless Security systems
Thanks for any insight.
This was all useful to me because my electric provider used to offer discounts for usage during off-peak hours. The equipment quickly paid for itself and was relilable. Now I only use the small equipment switches for remote control of lights, etc.
The computer-controlled unit's software was based on old-level DOS, which I no longer have. There's probably an update for Windows but I haven't bothered to get it.
The timer seemed to lose a couple of minutes a month, so had to be reset now and then.
[This message has been edited by rpxlpx (edited December 03, 2001).]
Suggest hiding this unit better than out in plain sight.
Also check out smarthome.com (i think) they have better rocker light switches. The X-10 version are cheap and dont hold up.
And the last thing is remember if you get the camaras, even though they are wireless the still need to have power!! So they have to be near an outlet or run a long line form the transformer.
Pick up an Ademco Lynx wireless panel from a local security system vendor or buy it online from http://www.homesecuritystore.com/. Not much harder to install but is a real security panel (actually it's rebranded and sold by ADT too). You don't have to add monitoring if you don't need it, but have the option to later on.
It's a little more pricey, but you get what you pay for.
Choosing network systems
Any advice on the "best" home security system.
Door chains a weak link in home security
Home automation with iPhone®: things you should know
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs