Security system for house with first floor bedrooms
From the "For what it's worth" department:
It's not really much 'security', but this is better than nothing: there's a motion-sensing device (OUTDOOR) that communicates to a wireless receiver (INDOOR). (Both come packaged together.) The receiver emits a few loud beeps and will optionally turn on a lamp for up to 5 minutes when motion is detected. It's more like a wireless doorbell than 'real' security but I find it helpful. I bought one at home depot for about $40.
You put the motion sensing thing in the area to be 'watched' (since it's wireless, you can affix to the house, a tree, or ???) It was made by Heath-Zenith.
As I said, it won't prevent someone from getting in, but at least you'll be alerted if someone's out there. It might be worth considering until you install a 'real' solution.
Oh, and yes, animals will set it off too, but I guess this can happen with lots of motion sensors.
I did some rudimentary internet searching and found one at http://www.800doorbell.com/hs3600_2.htm (I don't have personal experience with this company, it was just the first description to pop up.)
Also, got to thinking that there are quite a variety of products in that area; you might find something more appropriate....good luck.
[This message has been edited by k2 (edited August 11, 2003).]
Should I partially replace the cedar with something ...
Home Security System?
Wants outweigh security needs for homebuyers
House with an Elevated Front
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers