I have a small house with 2 bedrooms downstairs and one upstairs. Our 2 kids sleep in the bedrooms downstairs. In warm weather, I leave their windows open. Does anyone know of a type of security system that would work for us? I'm most concerned about someone entering the house through open windows, but I can't keep them closed, otherwise the bedrooms get hot and stuffy.
You can have a typical security system with window contacts in you home. On the windows that you leave open the magnet and contect need to be about 8" up from the bottom of the window. Then you can put a second magnet at the bottom of the window. With the window closed the top magnet meets with the contact to allow the system to arm. With the window open the bottom magnet aligns with the contact to alow the system to arm. MAKE SURE that you do not allow the window to be open enough for someone to get in or easily reach in. This is not the best way to do things but it works. There are alternatives that will work better but they are more expensive. One good one is a set of photoelectric beams that cover the exterior of the house in-lign with the windows. This way noone can get through them no matter if the window is open or closed.
Should I partially replace the cedar with something ...
Home Security System?
Wants outweigh security needs for homebuyers
House with an Elevated Front
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes