I have a small house with 2 bedrooms downstairs and one upstairs. Our 2 kids sleep in the bedrooms downstairs. In warm weather, I leave their windows open. Does anyone know of a type of security system that would work for us? I'm most concerned about someone entering the house through open windows, but I can't keep them closed, otherwise the bedrooms get hot and stuffy.
You can have a typical security system with window contacts in you home. On the windows that you leave open the magnet and contect need to be about 8" up from the bottom of the window. Then you can put a second magnet at the bottom of the window. With the window closed the top magnet meets with the contact to allow the system to arm. With the window open the bottom magnet aligns with the contact to alow the system to arm. MAKE SURE that you do not allow the window to be open enough for someone to get in or easily reach in. This is not the best way to do things but it works. There are alternatives that will work better but they are more expensive. One good one is a set of photoelectric beams that cover the exterior of the house in-lign with the windows. This way noone can get through them no matter if the window is open or closed.
Should I partially replace the cedar with something ...
Home Security System?
Wants outweigh security needs for homebuyers
House with an Elevated Front
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!