I have a small house with 2 bedrooms downstairs and one upstairs. Our 2 kids sleep in the bedrooms downstairs. In warm weather, I leave their windows open. Does anyone know of a type of security system that would work for us? I'm most concerned about someone entering the house through open windows, but I can't keep them closed, otherwise the bedrooms get hot and stuffy.
You can have a typical security system with window contacts in you home. On the windows that you leave open the magnet and contect need to be about 8" up from the bottom of the window. Then you can put a second magnet at the bottom of the window. With the window closed the top magnet meets with the contact to allow the system to arm. With the window open the bottom magnet aligns with the contact to alow the system to arm. MAKE SURE that you do not allow the window to be open enough for someone to get in or easily reach in. This is not the best way to do things but it works. There are alternatives that will work better but they are more expensive. One good one is a set of photoelectric beams that cover the exterior of the house in-lign with the windows. This way noone can get through them no matter if the window is open or closed.
Should I partially replace the cedar with something ...
Home Security System?
Wants outweigh security needs for homebuyers
House with an Elevated Front
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects