I have a small house with 2 bedrooms downstairs and one upstairs. Our 2 kids sleep in the bedrooms downstairs. In warm weather, I leave their windows open. Does anyone know of a type of security system that would work for us? I'm most concerned about someone entering the house through open windows, but I can't keep them closed, otherwise the bedrooms get hot and stuffy.
You can have a typical security system with window contacts in you home. On the windows that you leave open the magnet and contect need to be about 8" up from the bottom of the window. Then you can put a second magnet at the bottom of the window. With the window closed the top magnet meets with the contact to allow the system to arm. With the window open the bottom magnet aligns with the contact to alow the system to arm. MAKE SURE that you do not allow the window to be open enough for someone to get in or easily reach in. This is not the best way to do things but it works. There are alternatives that will work better but they are more expensive. One good one is a set of photoelectric beams that cover the exterior of the house in-lign with the windows. This way noone can get through them no matter if the window is open or closed.
Should I partially replace the cedar with something ...
Home Security System?
Wants outweigh security needs for homebuyers
House with an Elevated Front
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love