Security system for house with first floor bedrooms
From the "For what it's worth" department:
It's not really much 'security', but this is better than nothing: there's a motion-sensing device (OUTDOOR) that communicates to a wireless receiver (INDOOR). (Both come packaged together.) The receiver emits a few loud beeps and will optionally turn on a lamp for up to 5 minutes when motion is detected. It's more like a wireless doorbell than 'real' security but I find it helpful. I bought one at home depot for about $40.
You put the motion sensing thing in the area to be 'watched' (since it's wireless, you can affix to the house, a tree, or ???) It was made by Heath-Zenith.
As I said, it won't prevent someone from getting in, but at least you'll be alerted if someone's out there. It might be worth considering until you install a 'real' solution.
Oh, and yes, animals will set it off too, but I guess this can happen with lots of motion sensors.
I did some rudimentary internet searching and found one at http://www.800doorbell.com/hs3600_2.htm (I don't have personal experience with this company, it was just the first description to pop up.)
Also, got to thinking that there are quite a variety of products in that area; you might find something more appropriate....good luck.
[This message has been edited by k2 (edited August 11, 2003).]
Should I partially replace the cedar with something ...
Home Security System?
Wants outweigh security needs for homebuyers
House with an Elevated Front
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight