there is a little black diamond shape every 19 1/4" on a tape measure. can anyone inlighten me to what this is used for?
Divide 96" by five and you get 19-3/16" which is actually where the diamonds are located. It's just another layout setting like 16" or 24" commonly used for framing buildings.
Engineered trusses are a common usage but not the exclusive use. I'm remodeling an eighty year old house now for a customer. It was balloon framed with all members @19-3/16"oc My own house is log with the upper floor joists (4x8 timbers) @the same layout. It is more common in commercial work but not at all uncommon in residential.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight