there is a little black diamond shape every 19 1/4" on a tape measure. can anyone inlighten me to what this is used for?
Divide 96" by five and you get 19-3/16" which is actually where the diamonds are located. It's just another layout setting like 16" or 24" commonly used for framing buildings.
Engineered trusses are a common usage but not the exclusive use. I'm remodeling an eighty year old house now for a customer. It was balloon framed with all members @19-3/16"oc My own house is log with the upper floor joists (4x8 timbers) @the same layout. It is more common in commercial work but not at all uncommon in residential.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!