there is a little black diamond shape every 19 1/4" on a tape measure. can anyone inlighten me to what this is used for?
Divide 96" by five and you get 19-3/16" which is actually where the diamonds are located. It's just another layout setting like 16" or 24" commonly used for framing buildings.
Engineered trusses are a common usage but not the exclusive use. I'm remodeling an eighty year old house now for a customer. It was balloon framed with all members @19-3/16"oc My own house is log with the upper floor joists (4x8 timbers) @the same layout. It is more common in commercial work but not at all uncommon in residential.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 11 Signs of an Unhappy Houseplant
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 IKEA Favorites, DIY Style
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips