How can I reverse polarity (spin direction) on electric motor?
It's a capacitor start(centrifuge switch)-induction run motor. There appears to have been a wiring diagram on the inside cover, but it's long since deteriorated. It's an old "Whirl-a-Way" c. 1950?? Not sure about split-phase...Runs great. 115v AC. Coming off the copper coil are three wires. The way they are "mounted" on the coil is strange. Two of the three face one way, and then once faces the opposite way by itself. Which one might be the start winding? I took it to an electric motor shop and they thought it was not reversible, but weren't sure since it was old. They were interested in selling me a new one, didn't seem interested in offering a "repair" or rewiring. Also, I didn't lable the wires before I cut them (oops) and rearranged them trying to get the right combination to get a reversal. I was able to get it working again, but it seems to be lacking in starting power, like I didn't wire in the capacitor correctly. Know of any wiring diagrams or is there a standard for wiring the more simple motors sch as these? Thanks again!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes