How can I reverse polarity (spin direction) on electric motor?
It's a capacitor start(centrifuge switch)-induction run motor. There appears to have been a wiring diagram on the inside cover, but it's long since deteriorated. It's an old "Whirl-a-Way" c. 1950?? Not sure about split-phase...Runs great. 115v AC. Coming off the copper coil are three wires. The way they are "mounted" on the coil is strange. Two of the three face one way, and then once faces the opposite way by itself. Which one might be the start winding? I took it to an electric motor shop and they thought it was not reversible, but weren't sure since it was old. They were interested in selling me a new one, didn't seem interested in offering a "repair" or rewiring. Also, I didn't lable the wires before I cut them (oops) and rearranged them trying to get the right combination to get a reversal. I was able to get it working again, but it seems to be lacking in starting power, like I didn't wire in the capacitor correctly. Know of any wiring diagrams or is there a standard for wiring the more simple motors sch as these? Thanks again!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!