I have a 2HP Variable speed Ryobi router and it is 1/2" with a 1/4" adapter. While using a roundover bit, the bit became stuck in the adapter. Any ideas on how to get it free or should I just buy another adapter? More importantly, how can I avoid this from happening in the future?
Usually when the bit sticks you can get it out by fully unscrewing the retaining nut which in most cases applies pressure under the bit. All my Crafts-man routers have a lock ring on the collet for just that sort of thing. My porter cable doesnt, but I have yet to have a bit stick in it. I dont know about the RYobi though, never thought they were worth purchasing for doing the work I do with hardwoods, so I dont know how they are set up. If you can slip an open end wrench under the bit above the collet, you can force it out that way and hopefully not damage the bit. As for preventing it, first use a good quality bit, I have found cheaper bits have soft metal shafts that tend to mar easy, second make sure that you tighten the bit securely to prevent the bit from turning inside the collet, which causes marring, which I believe is what happened to yours, the bit only needs to turn 1/8 of a turn to get messed up. THird and most important, feed rate, try not to take off too much too fast, that tends to force the bit to turn backwards in the collet, which can cause marring, which can cause it to stick. Once you get it out, get a good strong light and magnafying glass and inspectg both the bit and the router/collet for any marring.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight