I have a 2HP Variable speed Ryobi router and it is 1/2" with a 1/4" adapter. While using a roundover bit, the bit became stuck in the adapter. Any ideas on how to get it free or should I just buy another adapter? More importantly, how can I avoid this from happening in the future?
Usually when the bit sticks you can get it out by fully unscrewing the retaining nut which in most cases applies pressure under the bit. All my Crafts-man routers have a lock ring on the collet for just that sort of thing. My porter cable doesnt, but I have yet to have a bit stick in it. I dont know about the RYobi though, never thought they were worth purchasing for doing the work I do with hardwoods, so I dont know how they are set up. If you can slip an open end wrench under the bit above the collet, you can force it out that way and hopefully not damage the bit. As for preventing it, first use a good quality bit, I have found cheaper bits have soft metal shafts that tend to mar easy, second make sure that you tighten the bit securely to prevent the bit from turning inside the collet, which causes marring, which I believe is what happened to yours, the bit only needs to turn 1/8 of a turn to get messed up. THird and most important, feed rate, try not to take off too much too fast, that tends to force the bit to turn backwards in the collet, which can cause marring, which can cause it to stick. Once you get it out, get a good strong light and magnafying glass and inspectg both the bit and the router/collet for any marring.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes