I have a 2HP Variable speed Ryobi router and it is 1/2" with a 1/4" adapter. While using a roundover bit, the bit became stuck in the adapter. Any ideas on how to get it free or should I just buy another adapter? More importantly, how can I avoid this from happening in the future?
Usually when the bit sticks you can get it out by fully unscrewing the retaining nut which in most cases applies pressure under the bit. All my Crafts-man routers have a lock ring on the collet for just that sort of thing. My porter cable doesnt, but I have yet to have a bit stick in it. I dont know about the RYobi though, never thought they were worth purchasing for doing the work I do with hardwoods, so I dont know how they are set up. If you can slip an open end wrench under the bit above the collet, you can force it out that way and hopefully not damage the bit. As for preventing it, first use a good quality bit, I have found cheaper bits have soft metal shafts that tend to mar easy, second make sure that you tighten the bit securely to prevent the bit from turning inside the collet, which causes marring, which I believe is what happened to yours, the bit only needs to turn 1/8 of a turn to get messed up. THird and most important, feed rate, try not to take off too much too fast, that tends to force the bit to turn backwards in the collet, which can cause marring, which can cause it to stick. Once you get it out, get a good strong light and magnafying glass and inspectg both the bit and the router/collet for any marring.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!