I love a good challenge!
Oak should be white oak - red oak rots too easily.
Don't use use glue. That can lead to checking.
Wood boats don't sink and wooden casks don't leak because when the wood swells from moisture, the pieces compress wood fibres towards one another. To seal wood against root, seal all edges.
I would use a standard base for hookup to plumbing and then build a pallet with drainage through to floor it.
54” x 44” it will make a great sized shower but would have to have a custom shower base. I have drawn up a base from hard wood that uses 4” by 5” rectangle in the middle with the drain hole in it this will be mounted to a 2x3 frame. I have a 2X4 frame on the outside with stringers running from the center drain square up to the out side corners. So the thing will be like an inverted rooftop with very little sloop. I was thinking about coating it with several layers of polyurethane to incase it in a waterproof coating. I was also thinking of impregnating the wood with a good oil before sealing. So will it mold? Will it hold water? I know it will look fantastic in my bathroom. But I also would like to be able to use it.
wood in a shower?
Basement shower woes
Hot water pipe ticks and knocks when shower starts
Hot water line to shower and Aquatherm heating unit ...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers