I love a good challenge!
Oak should be white oak - red oak rots too easily.
Don't use use glue. That can lead to checking.
Wood boats don't sink and wooden casks don't leak because when the wood swells from moisture, the pieces compress wood fibres towards one another. To seal wood against root, seal all edges.
I would use a standard base for hookup to plumbing and then build a pallet with drainage through to floor it.
54” x 44” it will make a great sized shower but would have to have a custom shower base. I have drawn up a base from hard wood that uses 4” by 5” rectangle in the middle with the drain hole in it this will be mounted to a 2x3 frame. I have a 2X4 frame on the outside with stringers running from the center drain square up to the out side corners. So the thing will be like an inverted rooftop with very little sloop. I was thinking about coating it with several layers of polyurethane to incase it in a waterproof coating. I was also thinking of impregnating the wood with a good oil before sealing. So will it mold? Will it hold water? I know it will look fantastic in my bathroom. But I also would like to be able to use it.
wood in a shower?
Basement shower woes
Hot water pipe ticks and knocks when shower starts
Hot water line to shower and Aquatherm heating unit ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees