I love a good challenge!
Oak should be white oak - red oak rots too easily.
Don't use use glue. That can lead to checking.
Wood boats don't sink and wooden casks don't leak because when the wood swells from moisture, the pieces compress wood fibres towards one another. To seal wood against root, seal all edges.
I would use a standard base for hookup to plumbing and then build a pallet with drainage through to floor it.
54” x 44” it will make a great sized shower but would have to have a custom shower base. I have drawn up a base from hard wood that uses 4” by 5” rectangle in the middle with the drain hole in it this will be mounted to a 2x3 frame. I have a 2X4 frame on the outside with stringers running from the center drain square up to the out side corners. So the thing will be like an inverted rooftop with very little sloop. I was thinking about coating it with several layers of polyurethane to incase it in a waterproof coating. I was also thinking of impregnating the wood with a good oil before sealing. So will it mold? Will it hold water? I know it will look fantastic in my bathroom. But I also would like to be able to use it.
wood in a shower?
Basement shower woes
Hot water pipe ticks and knocks when shower starts
Hot water line to shower and Aquatherm heating unit ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs