I love a good challenge!
Oak should be white oak - red oak rots too easily.
Don't use use glue. That can lead to checking.
Wood boats don't sink and wooden casks don't leak because when the wood swells from moisture, the pieces compress wood fibres towards one another. To seal wood against root, seal all edges.
I would use a standard base for hookup to plumbing and then build a pallet with drainage through to floor it.
54” x 44” it will make a great sized shower but would have to have a custom shower base. I have drawn up a base from hard wood that uses 4” by 5” rectangle in the middle with the drain hole in it this will be mounted to a 2x3 frame. I have a 2X4 frame on the outside with stringers running from the center drain square up to the out side corners. So the thing will be like an inverted rooftop with very little sloop. I was thinking about coating it with several layers of polyurethane to incase it in a waterproof coating. I was also thinking of impregnating the wood with a good oil before sealing. So will it mold? Will it hold water? I know it will look fantastic in my bathroom. But I also would like to be able to use it.
wood in a shower?
Basement shower woes
Hot water pipe ticks and knocks when shower starts
Hot water line to shower and Aquatherm heating unit ...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight