From what I can find, framing nailers come in three varieties. The clipped head, round head nailer for up to 0.148" diameter, and round head nailer for up to 0.162 diameter. The 0.162 diameter nail corresponds to the 16d common nail which is for residential framing use as indicated in all my carpentry books. What nailer is used by contractors for residential framing construction? What is the prefered nailer for residential framing construction?
.162" has nothing to do with 16d, so don't worry about that. Your standard framing nail would be a .120X3 1/4" for 2X4 framing. This is standard so don't even worry about that side of it. You have two choices Pneumatic or Cordless if you have a compressor already and you use it all the time then my suggestion would be stick with a Pneumatic tool, it gives you more power and it is less maintanance to keep working well in the long run. If you do not already have a compressor or you aren't using it often GO CORDLESS! Paslode has a great cordless framer I'm sure you can find their website. Their Pneumatic is good too. One thing I would strongly suggest though, no matter what brand tool you go with (although don't go too cheap) make sure you get good quality nails. This is very important bad quality nails will jamb in your tool all the time and that is something you don't want to have todeal with, pay the extra $$$ for good nails!
Hope that helps!
Hope that helps!
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING