Raising stairway ceiling
A bit more on the beam. The beam traverses the width of the house addition, crosses (perpendicular) one side wall of the stairwell and ends over the 2nd stairwell side wall. I'm not sure if this complicates the problem or not.
My intention is to install a beam over the existing one, then, remove the existing beam and install a ceiling approx. 12" higher than current ceiling. If the project requires a lot of carpentry skill, or is dangerous to myself or the house, I'll get a qualified contractor to do it. For now, though, I don't have enough information to evaluate the project.
It's something that may even require a structural engineer, your local pro will be able to tell from a few test holes to see what's up.
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
raising the pitch to make living space out of attic?
Raising the ceiling height
low low ceilings...what can be done?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!