Raising stairway ceiling
A bit more on the beam. The beam traverses the width of the house addition, crosses (perpendicular) one side wall of the stairwell and ends over the 2nd stairwell side wall. I'm not sure if this complicates the problem or not.
My intention is to install a beam over the existing one, then, remove the existing beam and install a ceiling approx. 12" higher than current ceiling. If the project requires a lot of carpentry skill, or is dangerous to myself or the house, I'll get a qualified contractor to do it. For now, though, I don't have enough information to evaluate the project.
It's something that may even require a structural engineer, your local pro will be able to tell from a few test holes to see what's up.
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
raising the pitch to make living space out of attic?
Raising the ceiling height
low low ceilings...what can be done?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY