Raising stairway ceiling
A bit more on the beam. The beam traverses the width of the house addition, crosses (perpendicular) one side wall of the stairwell and ends over the 2nd stairwell side wall. I'm not sure if this complicates the problem or not.
My intention is to install a beam over the existing one, then, remove the existing beam and install a ceiling approx. 12" higher than current ceiling. If the project requires a lot of carpentry skill, or is dangerous to myself or the house, I'll get a qualified contractor to do it. For now, though, I don't have enough information to evaluate the project.
It's something that may even require a structural engineer, your local pro will be able to tell from a few test holes to see what's up.
Alter Eagle Construction & Design
raising the pitch to make living space out of attic?
Raising the ceiling height
low low ceilings...what can be done?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Ways to Expand into Your Garage
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 12 Fresh Ideas for Your Kids' Room
- 11 Beautiful Clutter-Busting Closets