Mitre Saw and Table Saw - Best Bets
Do yourself a favor and bypass any cheap table saws. I made that mistake once and quickly found myself wanting more. I'd returned it within a couple days for a better one. It didn't have anywhere near enough power and was totally unpleasurable to use. A decent rip fence alone (for a table saw) can cost upwards of $200.
I think you'll do OK with a fairly inexpensive "chop" (miter) saw, but table saws are another story. Since you're new to the power tool game, take your time and learn how to use one. There are an incredible number of tricks and techniques--not to mention safety concerns. I'd recommend a class. Check out a table saw book out of your local library. You'll see what I mean; there is a lot you can learn. In the meantime, don't waste your money.
Good luck; let us know what you get
My ten year old $450 Craftsman Contractor table was barely suitable new, much better now that I added a better fence system.
I agree with the previous comments for your miter saw I would recommend the Delta 36-255L 12" (aprox. 125$). I would recommend a 12" vs. 10" especially if you cut anything wider then 5"1/4. Otherwise the Dewalt DW703 10" saw is pretty nice (aprox. 190$).
As for the table saw the Bosch 4000-07 would be a nice addition (aprox 425$)incuding a nice folding stand for versatility.
Hope this helps,
[This message has been edited by NickG (edited August 24, 2003).]
Learning my new mitre saw
Table saw vs. Mitre saw
What's best mitre saw for <$250?
Manual for Tool Shop 10: sliding compound mitre saw ...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers