Sockets-6 Pt. vs 12 Pt.
The benefit of a 12-point box-end wrench was that it gave you a better range of movement, but that is unimportant on a racheting socket wrench. On a non-racheting socket wrench (i.e., a breaker bar), the 12-point socket might be useful.
In support of my position that 6-point sockets have better grip, I'll offer up page 177 of a Navy manual where they advise using 6-point sockets: http://www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/engineering/unitfour/4-1.pdf
To see for yourself, insert a nut into each type of socket and observe which has more metal-to-metal contact.
You could also ask your local auto mechanic to tell you how many times they skinned their knuckles using 12-point sockets before they learned their lesson.
I'll concede that for undamaged, non-rusted nuts that aren't torqued too tightly, a 12-point socket works fine.
I did remember one advantage of the 12-point socket, you can use it on square nuts.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY