Sockets-6 Pt. vs 12 Pt.
The benefit of a 12-point box-end wrench was that it gave you a better range of movement, but that is unimportant on a racheting socket wrench. On a non-racheting socket wrench (i.e., a breaker bar), the 12-point socket might be useful.
In support of my position that 6-point sockets have better grip, I'll offer up page 177 of a Navy manual where they advise using 6-point sockets: http://www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/engineering/unitfour/4-1.pdf
To see for yourself, insert a nut into each type of socket and observe which has more metal-to-metal contact.
You could also ask your local auto mechanic to tell you how many times they skinned their knuckles using 12-point sockets before they learned their lesson.
I'll concede that for undamaged, non-rusted nuts that aren't torqued too tightly, a 12-point socket works fine.
I did remember one advantage of the 12-point socket, you can use it on square nuts.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!