Sockets-6 Pt. vs 12 Pt.
The benefit of a 12-point box-end wrench was that it gave you a better range of movement, but that is unimportant on a racheting socket wrench. On a non-racheting socket wrench (i.e., a breaker bar), the 12-point socket might be useful.
In support of my position that 6-point sockets have better grip, I'll offer up page 177 of a Navy manual where they advise using 6-point sockets: http://www.nsgreatlakes.navy.mil/engineering/unitfour/4-1.pdf
To see for yourself, insert a nut into each type of socket and observe which has more metal-to-metal contact.
You could also ask your local auto mechanic to tell you how many times they skinned their knuckles using 12-point sockets before they learned their lesson.
I'll concede that for undamaged, non-rusted nuts that aren't torqued too tightly, a 12-point socket works fine.
I did remember one advantage of the 12-point socket, you can use it on square nuts.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them