I am in the process of comparing 12" sliding compound mitre saws for diy home imporvement projects. Actually, the saw will be used by my boyfriend for projects such as crown moulding, possibly a deck (in the future), etc... After comparing performance criteria such as: smooth, reliable, and accurate cutting predictability, adjustment ease and ability to lock firmly into a wide variety of angles, tough and durable, double-bevel feature, minimum clog-prone factor, and cost, etc... I am leaning toward the Dewalt-708. I especially like the dual-bevel feature and the belt-drive seems like it will facilitate smooth and user-friendly sawing action about it compared to the Craftsman or others within its class. Can you offer some insight to my decision making process. We have watched you for years, think you are great, and cannot think of any other more qualified to help us in our choice. Thanks, Carla
Carla Y. Seleme
That is a great saw. But before you buy a sliding saw, think anout a few things. First, a sliding saw by design cuts a greater capacity. If you intend to go sliding, don't over look a 10" version. Thet have large capacity and the blades are much cheaper. A good 12" finish blade (which doesn't come with any saw) will gost about 60-90 bucks or more. where the 10" is about 35% less. Also, a standard power miter saw with a 12" blade has great capacity and a lot less moving parts. It will invariably give you many years of acurate cutting. How often do you plan on cross cuting 2x10's or 2x12's. is it worth all the extra money and posibly less acuracy to get the slider over the fixed? Those questions being asked of myself, I am planning on purchasing the new delta twin laser 12" fixed compund saw. I have a dewalt 708 fixed compund that I bought about 7-8 yeas ago and it has stood up remarkebly with only one minor service needed for burnt out brush holders. If you do go with the sliding saw from dewalt, I don't think you will have gone wrong.
Learning my new mitre saw
What's best mitre saw for <$250?
Manual for Tool Shop 10: sliding compound mitre saw ...
I am about to build my first workshop, what tool first?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes