Blocking does little to nothing to reduce deflection of joists.
An oiverloaded joist will not fail straight down in deflection. It wil want to roll or twist first which then puts it in a postion where it is weaker than in perfect vertical alignment. This weaker positioning in turn lets it sag further.
The blocking does two things.
It prevents the rollover tendency, keepiung the joists in their strongest, vertical alignment.
It ties all the joist together so they act as a system/singulart unit instead of individually. I'm like a joist and you are too. You can lift more with help from your friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
But solid blocking does little or nothing to prevent deflection...or otherwise 'stiffen' floor joists.
You've admitted that blocking will " prevent joists from racking and twisting and warping..."
and since a straight and plumb joist will bear more without failing, it will provide for a stiffer floor.
The engineering agrees, too. That's why installation charts for joists specify what spans need blocking, bridging and furring. Leave it out and you don't meet the designed rating and risk failure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY