Blocking does little to nothing to reduce deflection of joists.
An oiverloaded joist will not fail straight down in deflection. It wil want to roll or twist first which then puts it in a postion where it is weaker than in perfect vertical alignment. This weaker positioning in turn lets it sag further.
The blocking does two things.
It prevents the rollover tendency, keepiung the joists in their strongest, vertical alignment.
It ties all the joist together so they act as a system/singulart unit instead of individually. I'm like a joist and you are too. You can lift more with help from your friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
But solid blocking does little or nothing to prevent deflection...or otherwise 'stiffen' floor joists.
You've admitted that blocking will " prevent joists from racking and twisting and warping..."
and since a straight and plumb joist will bear more without failing, it will provide for a stiffer floor.
The engineering agrees, too. That's why installation charts for joists specify what spans need blocking, bridging and furring. Leave it out and you don't meet the designed rating and risk failure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them