Blocking does little to nothing to reduce deflection of joists.
An oiverloaded joist will not fail straight down in deflection. It wil want to roll or twist first which then puts it in a postion where it is weaker than in perfect vertical alignment. This weaker positioning in turn lets it sag further.
The blocking does two things.
It prevents the rollover tendency, keepiung the joists in their strongest, vertical alignment.
It ties all the joist together so they act as a system/singulart unit instead of individually. I'm like a joist and you are too. You can lift more with help from your friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
But solid blocking does little or nothing to prevent deflection...or otherwise 'stiffen' floor joists.
You've admitted that blocking will " prevent joists from racking and twisting and warping..."
and since a straight and plumb joist will bear more without failing, it will provide for a stiffer floor.
The engineering agrees, too. That's why installation charts for joists specify what spans need blocking, bridging and furring. Leave it out and you don't meet the designed rating and risk failure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps