Blocking does little to nothing to reduce deflection of joists.
An oiverloaded joist will not fail straight down in deflection. It wil want to roll or twist first which then puts it in a postion where it is weaker than in perfect vertical alignment. This weaker positioning in turn lets it sag further.
The blocking does two things.
It prevents the rollover tendency, keepiung the joists in their strongest, vertical alignment.
It ties all the joist together so they act as a system/singulart unit instead of individually. I'm like a joist and you are too. You can lift more with help from your friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
But solid blocking does little or nothing to prevent deflection...or otherwise 'stiffen' floor joists.
You've admitted that blocking will " prevent joists from racking and twisting and warping..."
and since a straight and plumb joist will bear more without failing, it will provide for a stiffer floor.
The engineering agrees, too. That's why installation charts for joists specify what spans need blocking, bridging and furring. Leave it out and you don't meet the designed rating and risk failure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs