Blocking does little to nothing to reduce deflection of joists.
An oiverloaded joist will not fail straight down in deflection. It wil want to roll or twist first which then puts it in a postion where it is weaker than in perfect vertical alignment. This weaker positioning in turn lets it sag further.
The blocking does two things.
It prevents the rollover tendency, keepiung the joists in their strongest, vertical alignment.
It ties all the joist together so they act as a system/singulart unit instead of individually. I'm like a joist and you are too. You can lift more with help from your friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
But solid blocking does little or nothing to prevent deflection...or otherwise 'stiffen' floor joists.
You've admitted that blocking will " prevent joists from racking and twisting and warping..."
and since a straight and plumb joist will bear more without failing, it will provide for a stiffer floor.
The engineering agrees, too. That's why installation charts for joists specify what spans need blocking, bridging and furring. Leave it out and you don't meet the designed rating and risk failure.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers