My sander has been running fine for years but
it slowly started smelling like it was running
too hot--the smell of hot insulation. I think
its the smell of the armeture getting too hot.
Could short brushes be the cause of this, meaning it gets intermittent contact from one or both of them. They are about 3/8" of an inch long now. The brush retainer screw cover can't be screwed in anymore.
Idea #2: Its not the brushes at all, but excessive resistance in the bearings and thus the need to be replaced. Without the motor belt installed, the motor runs fine and does not emit an odor. There are still quite few sparks coming from the brushes though.
Put the motor belt on and do some sanding, (put a load on it) the odor returns. It smells like it will burn itself up.
Need Manual For Craftsman Belt Sander Model 315.11721
Manual needed for model 315.11721
brushes for dewalt
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes