My sander has been running fine for years but
it slowly started smelling like it was running
too hot--the smell of hot insulation. I think
its the smell of the armeture getting too hot.
Could short brushes be the cause of this, meaning it gets intermittent contact from one or both of them. They are about 3/8" of an inch long now. The brush retainer screw cover can't be screwed in anymore.
Idea #2: Its not the brushes at all, but excessive resistance in the bearings and thus the need to be replaced. Without the motor belt installed, the motor runs fine and does not emit an odor. There are still quite few sparks coming from the brushes though.
Put the motor belt on and do some sanding, (put a load on it) the odor returns. It smells like it will burn itself up.
Need Manual For Craftsman Belt Sander Model 315.11721
Manual needed for model 315.11721
brushes for dewalt
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!