"open" tray ceiling with uplighting
I am not having any luck finding information on the web which illustrates how to do this.
If anyone can help me out I would truly be appreciative.
That would probably be a lot easier to do it that way because it wouldn't be as heavy, but because we have a duct situation on the other side of the wall which will we can not move we thought it best to even things out. We have to install a paralam beam and two concrete filled lally colums in which we will cover with decorative columbs, and I think it would look "off" if we didn't extend the other side. This "soffit/tray ceiling" needs to extend at least 13 inchest away from the wall and the angle would have to be at least 10 inchest high as well.
We did consider using pieces of 2x4 spaced about every 6 feet to support the top of the "lip" to the ceiling and then cover with drywall as a means for support but I really didn't want any obstruction from the flow of the light. Maybe we could go that route and do some decorative trim work.
My husband and I have done many home improvement projects over the years and this one really has us baffled.
_____/ "soffit w/lip".
^The lighting would be within that space.
It seems like you are going back and forth quite a bit here. I would like to try and help but will need some pics of the room and some of your concept drawings. Can you send them to me? Seeing a project is more often than not the best way to start. Just send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
So.. all you do is place purlins for the angled section of the tray. You'll need to block at some point where the purlin plates run parallel to the existing joists.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!