"open" tray ceiling with uplighting
I am not having any luck finding information on the web which illustrates how to do this.
If anyone can help me out I would truly be appreciative.
That would probably be a lot easier to do it that way because it wouldn't be as heavy, but because we have a duct situation on the other side of the wall which will we can not move we thought it best to even things out. We have to install a paralam beam and two concrete filled lally colums in which we will cover with decorative columbs, and I think it would look "off" if we didn't extend the other side. This "soffit/tray ceiling" needs to extend at least 13 inchest away from the wall and the angle would have to be at least 10 inchest high as well.
We did consider using pieces of 2x4 spaced about every 6 feet to support the top of the "lip" to the ceiling and then cover with drywall as a means for support but I really didn't want any obstruction from the flow of the light. Maybe we could go that route and do some decorative trim work.
My husband and I have done many home improvement projects over the years and this one really has us baffled.
_____/ "soffit w/lip".
^The lighting would be within that space.
It seems like you are going back and forth quite a bit here. I would like to try and help but will need some pics of the room and some of your concept drawings. Can you send them to me? Seeing a project is more often than not the best way to start. Just send them to firstname.lastname@example.org
So.. all you do is place purlins for the angled section of the tray. You'll need to block at some point where the purlin plates run parallel to the existing joists.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps