"open" tray ceiling with uplighting
I am not having any luck finding information on the web which illustrates how to do this.
If anyone can help me out I would truly be appreciative.
That would probably be a lot easier to do it that way because it wouldn't be as heavy, but because we have a duct situation on the other side of the wall which will we can not move we thought it best to even things out. We have to install a paralam beam and two concrete filled lally colums in which we will cover with decorative columbs, and I think it would look "off" if we didn't extend the other side. This "soffit/tray ceiling" needs to extend at least 13 inchest away from the wall and the angle would have to be at least 10 inchest high as well.
We did consider using pieces of 2x4 spaced about every 6 feet to support the top of the "lip" to the ceiling and then cover with drywall as a means for support but I really didn't want any obstruction from the flow of the light. Maybe we could go that route and do some decorative trim work.
My husband and I have done many home improvement projects over the years and this one really has us baffled.
_____/ "soffit w/lip".
^The lighting would be within that space.
It seems like you are going back and forth quite a bit here. I would like to try and help but will need some pics of the room and some of your concept drawings. Can you send them to me? Seeing a project is more often than not the best way to start. Just send them to [email protected]
So.. all you do is place purlins for the angled section of the tray. You'll need to block at some point where the purlin plates run parallel to the existing joists.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips