"open" tray ceiling with uplighting
I am not having any luck finding information on the web which illustrates how to do this.
If anyone can help me out I would truly be appreciative.
That would probably be a lot easier to do it that way because it wouldn't be as heavy, but because we have a duct situation on the other side of the wall which will we can not move we thought it best to even things out. We have to install a paralam beam and two concrete filled lally colums in which we will cover with decorative columbs, and I think it would look "off" if we didn't extend the other side. This "soffit/tray ceiling" needs to extend at least 13 inchest away from the wall and the angle would have to be at least 10 inchest high as well.
We did consider using pieces of 2x4 spaced about every 6 feet to support the top of the "lip" to the ceiling and then cover with drywall as a means for support but I really didn't want any obstruction from the flow of the light. Maybe we could go that route and do some decorative trim work.
My husband and I have done many home improvement projects over the years and this one really has us baffled.
_____/ "soffit w/lip".
^The lighting would be within that space.
It seems like you are going back and forth quite a bit here. I would like to try and help but will need some pics of the room and some of your concept drawings. Can you send them to me? Seeing a project is more often than not the best way to start. Just send them to email@example.com
So.. all you do is place purlins for the angled section of the tray. You'll need to block at some point where the purlin plates run parallel to the existing joists.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs