I just bought a house with a slab foundation. The living room carpet smells strongly of mold. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There is also a fireplace in the LR and the roof has been replaced in the last year.
Either the roof leaked and caused the carpet to gain water or the slab foundation is seeping moisture. You are going to have to peel back the carpet and cover it with a piece of plastic. Seal the edges thouroughly and wait a few days. If condensation appears then the moisture is coming through the slab. If it remains dry, then the moisture came from above. In either case the carpet will have to be replaced and a thermal barrier installed before the new carpet and padding are installed.I know of no way of removing the mold from carpet safely. Maybe others....
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight