I just bought a house with a slab foundation. The living room carpet smells strongly of mold. Any suggestions on how to proceed? There is also a fireplace in the LR and the roof has been replaced in the last year.
Either the roof leaked and caused the carpet to gain water or the slab foundation is seeping moisture. You are going to have to peel back the carpet and cover it with a piece of plastic. Seal the edges thouroughly and wait a few days. If condensation appears then the moisture is coming through the slab. If it remains dry, then the moisture came from above. In either case the carpet will have to be replaced and a thermal barrier installed before the new carpet and padding are installed.I know of no way of removing the mold from carpet safely. Maybe others....
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!