My plumber cut a post tension cable when jack hammering my concrete slab to install new bathroom drain lines. I want to insure this cable is repaired properly. Anyone know the correct method ?
jack3425 - Do you have access to the ends of the cables? Are the cables grouted in or loose in conduit?
The cable runs through a plastic protector. I assume there is access to the ends at the front and rear of the house.
The basic idea is simple. Slide out the broken cable, slide in the new cable, add nuts and washers to each end and tighten. The tough part is the details. You may have to break some concrete to get access to the ends of the cables. You have to find someone to sell one cable with nuts,etc. You have to find out the proper tension. Too low, it doesn't do anything. Too high you can crack the concrete. This may be a job where hiring a contractor is much easier if more expensive.
Great suggestion. My plumber hired a post-tension cable repair contractor who replaced one half of the cable, used a special coupling at the cut point to secure the new and old cables together, then applied the proper pressure. A simple (for him) $300 repair.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs