My plumber cut a post tension cable when jack hammering my concrete slab to install new bathroom drain lines. I want to insure this cable is repaired properly. Anyone know the correct method ?
jack3425 - Do you have access to the ends of the cables? Are the cables grouted in or loose in conduit?
The cable runs through a plastic protector. I assume there is access to the ends at the front and rear of the house.
The basic idea is simple. Slide out the broken cable, slide in the new cable, add nuts and washers to each end and tighten. The tough part is the details. You may have to break some concrete to get access to the ends of the cables. You have to find someone to sell one cable with nuts,etc. You have to find out the proper tension. Too low, it doesn't do anything. Too high you can crack the concrete. This may be a job where hiring a contractor is much easier if more expensive.
Great suggestion. My plumber hired a post-tension cable repair contractor who replaced one half of the cable, used a special coupling at the cut point to secure the new and old cables together, then applied the proper pressure. A simple (for him) $300 repair.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps