My plumber cut a post tension cable when jack hammering my concrete slab to install new bathroom drain lines. I want to insure this cable is repaired properly. Anyone know the correct method ?
jack3425 - Do you have access to the ends of the cables? Are the cables grouted in or loose in conduit?
The cable runs through a plastic protector. I assume there is access to the ends at the front and rear of the house.
The basic idea is simple. Slide out the broken cable, slide in the new cable, add nuts and washers to each end and tighten. The tough part is the details. You may have to break some concrete to get access to the ends of the cables. You have to find someone to sell one cable with nuts,etc. You have to find out the proper tension. Too low, it doesn't do anything. Too high you can crack the concrete. This may be a job where hiring a contractor is much easier if more expensive.
Great suggestion. My plumber hired a post-tension cable repair contractor who replaced one half of the cable, used a special coupling at the cut point to secure the new and old cables together, then applied the proper pressure. A simple (for him) $300 repair.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY