Appreciate any feedback
Chimney dampness causing moisture on wall
Appreciate any feedback
Well, it's hard to tell if your problem is from 'poor workmanship' or a leak.
If you have access to the attic, check there first for signs of water running down the interior wall. When you see it, go up in the attic (assuming you have one) and look along that wall.
Now, as I said, it's quite possible you simply have moisture problem. IF the wall on the INSIDE of the house is 'cold' but the air INSIDE is very warm, it could simply be the warm air CONDENSING on the cold wall. This would be my first 'hunch' since you said the problem goes away when you turn the heat on. Warm air will hold MORE moisture than cool air. The warm air is probably warming up the inside wall. If the insulation in that wall is 'missing' or not R-19 (or higher), that could be the solution. OR, perhaps all you need to do is increase circulation in that part of the room. You can easily test that out by turning on a floor-fan on LOW just to circulate the air. If you notice the problem goes away (or is reduced), then you know the source of your problem is moist air. At this point, consider installing a dehumidifier in the room OR in your HVAC system.
Perhaps others have more insight. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: I'm not clear if the moisture is on the fireplace itself or the wall 'in front' of the fireplace. Understand that if the fireplace wall is 'connected' directly to the outside, it will be cooler than the walls in the rest of the room because the remaining walls are insulated. (The fireplace wall, itself, isn't based on my scenario ...)
Moisture on inside of vapor barrior
Change outdoor chimney from wood to stone faced
moisture in walls
Moisture in 2nd floor bathroom floor - Who to call?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects