Appreciate any feedback
Chimney dampness causing moisture on wall
Appreciate any feedback
Well, it's hard to tell if your problem is from 'poor workmanship' or a leak.
If you have access to the attic, check there first for signs of water running down the interior wall. When you see it, go up in the attic (assuming you have one) and look along that wall.
Now, as I said, it's quite possible you simply have moisture problem. IF the wall on the INSIDE of the house is 'cold' but the air INSIDE is very warm, it could simply be the warm air CONDENSING on the cold wall. This would be my first 'hunch' since you said the problem goes away when you turn the heat on. Warm air will hold MORE moisture than cool air. The warm air is probably warming up the inside wall. If the insulation in that wall is 'missing' or not R-19 (or higher), that could be the solution. OR, perhaps all you need to do is increase circulation in that part of the room. You can easily test that out by turning on a floor-fan on LOW just to circulate the air. If you notice the problem goes away (or is reduced), then you know the source of your problem is moist air. At this point, consider installing a dehumidifier in the room OR in your HVAC system.
Perhaps others have more insight. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: I'm not clear if the moisture is on the fireplace itself or the wall 'in front' of the fireplace. Understand that if the fireplace wall is 'connected' directly to the outside, it will be cooler than the walls in the rest of the room because the remaining walls are insulated. (The fireplace wall, itself, isn't based on my scenario ...)
Moisture on inside of vapor barrior
Moisture in 2nd floor bathroom floor - Who to call?
moisture in walls
Change outdoor chimney from wood to stone faced
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers