Appreciate any feedback
Chimney dampness causing moisture on wall
Appreciate any feedback
Well, it's hard to tell if your problem is from 'poor workmanship' or a leak.
If you have access to the attic, check there first for signs of water running down the interior wall. When you see it, go up in the attic (assuming you have one) and look along that wall.
Now, as I said, it's quite possible you simply have moisture problem. IF the wall on the INSIDE of the house is 'cold' but the air INSIDE is very warm, it could simply be the warm air CONDENSING on the cold wall. This would be my first 'hunch' since you said the problem goes away when you turn the heat on. Warm air will hold MORE moisture than cool air. The warm air is probably warming up the inside wall. If the insulation in that wall is 'missing' or not R-19 (or higher), that could be the solution. OR, perhaps all you need to do is increase circulation in that part of the room. You can easily test that out by turning on a floor-fan on LOW just to circulate the air. If you notice the problem goes away (or is reduced), then you know the source of your problem is moist air. At this point, consider installing a dehumidifier in the room OR in your HVAC system.
Perhaps others have more insight. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: I'm not clear if the moisture is on the fireplace itself or the wall 'in front' of the fireplace. Understand that if the fireplace wall is 'connected' directly to the outside, it will be cooler than the walls in the rest of the room because the remaining walls are insulated. (The fireplace wall, itself, isn't based on my scenario ...)
Moisture on inside of vapor barrior
Change outdoor chimney from wood to stone faced
moisture in walls
Moisture in 2nd floor bathroom floor - Who to call?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!