Pea Gravel On Concrete
I can see this being done in Florida because there isn't any real freezing and thawing going on down there. Well, when it does, it may not be damaging enough to this particular 'setup'.
HOWEVER, if you're living where it DOES freeze and thaw, you may be in for trouble. I've never seen what you're describing in the states where you have 4, distinct seasons. I HAVE seen what you're describing where the gravel (or the like) is 'set' when the concrete is wet (or just poured.) I've never seen it done after-the-fact.
Maybe someone else can help you but in the meantime, I'd stop by a Cement Plant or a Stone & Gravel Yard (both found in the YELLOW PAGES) for some advice. Besides, you had a non-maintenance item (when you have the plain concrete w/o the gravel), but now you have a maintenance item. To me, personally, (and I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but ...) I don't understand why one would do this (with what I just said in mind.) I guess what I'm doing is planting a 'seed' (of sorts) in other folks heads to just think ahead for a moment about the maintenance. In Florida, no problem (I guess.) But where you have 4 seasons, I think it's more work done your way than it's worth. (Adding the gravel when the concrete is wet is OK w/me ANYWHERE. But what about shoveling, or catching an 'edge' when the stuff starts to wear off.)
For me, too much can happen. I wish you well. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes