Pea Gravel On Concrete
I can see this being done in Florida because there isn't any real freezing and thawing going on down there. Well, when it does, it may not be damaging enough to this particular 'setup'.
HOWEVER, if you're living where it DOES freeze and thaw, you may be in for trouble. I've never seen what you're describing in the states where you have 4, distinct seasons. I HAVE seen what you're describing where the gravel (or the like) is 'set' when the concrete is wet (or just poured.) I've never seen it done after-the-fact.
Maybe someone else can help you but in the meantime, I'd stop by a Cement Plant or a Stone & Gravel Yard (both found in the YELLOW PAGES) for some advice. Besides, you had a non-maintenance item (when you have the plain concrete w/o the gravel), but now you have a maintenance item. To me, personally, (and I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but ...) I don't understand why one would do this (with what I just said in mind.) I guess what I'm doing is planting a 'seed' (of sorts) in other folks heads to just think ahead for a moment about the maintenance. In Florida, no problem (I guess.) But where you have 4 seasons, I think it's more work done your way than it's worth. (Adding the gravel when the concrete is wet is OK w/me ANYWHERE. But what about shoveling, or catching an 'edge' when the stuff starts to wear off.)
For me, too much can happen. I wish you well. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!