Pea Gravel On Concrete
I can see this being done in Florida because there isn't any real freezing and thawing going on down there. Well, when it does, it may not be damaging enough to this particular 'setup'.
HOWEVER, if you're living where it DOES freeze and thaw, you may be in for trouble. I've never seen what you're describing in the states where you have 4, distinct seasons. I HAVE seen what you're describing where the gravel (or the like) is 'set' when the concrete is wet (or just poured.) I've never seen it done after-the-fact.
Maybe someone else can help you but in the meantime, I'd stop by a Cement Plant or a Stone & Gravel Yard (both found in the YELLOW PAGES) for some advice. Besides, you had a non-maintenance item (when you have the plain concrete w/o the gravel), but now you have a maintenance item. To me, personally, (and I don't want this to come across the wrong way, but ...) I don't understand why one would do this (with what I just said in mind.) I guess what I'm doing is planting a 'seed' (of sorts) in other folks heads to just think ahead for a moment about the maintenance. In Florida, no problem (I guess.) But where you have 4 seasons, I think it's more work done your way than it's worth. (Adding the gravel when the concrete is wet is OK w/me ANYWHERE. But what about shoveling, or catching an 'edge' when the stuff starts to wear off.)
For me, too much can happen. I wish you well. My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight