12:17PM | 09/08/01
Member Since: 09/07/01
1 lifetime posts
our 4yr old 2 story house sits on a 30x40 concrete slab, which is settling & "breathing" as each season passes here in south central OK. the house faces W,with a wood deck that wraps around the S front 1/2 & along the S side of the house. There are gutters on the N & S along the bottom edges of the "A" roof pitch. our property slopes from (approx.60ft diam. around house)NW to SE with a 3ft diffrence.
The soil here is mostly red clay w/ sand & gravel mixed in. The NW front hosefaucet drips constantly (10 gaL. a day?) husband has "fixed" it once to no avail.
At present,the NW bedroom door dose not close,a lg. diagonal crack in the WS window drywall frame,other various drywall cracks & the S. side of the foundation slopes down
1/2-1 in. As the rain falls & we come out of the drought season the house will begin to "ex-hale" & the cracks will somewhat greatest fear is the S side slope of the house, other than having the house raised & the foundation re-enforced
.....($$$$$$$$$$$$$).....what can be done to keep it stable????
Sincere Thanks for any info. on the subject...
Maureen Rude

Jay J

07:12AM | 09/10/01
Member Since: 10/26/00
782 lifetime posts
Hi mer,

Your solution depends on the soil on which the slab sits.

I, for one, can't tell exactly what your soil conditions are but that's the job of a Foundation or Excavation Contractor. You can find them around. You need to start looking in the YELLOW PAGES for contractors that are 'experts' in foundation repair. And I mean THAT'S the type of Pro you want. I would only consider a General Contractor (of sorts) ONLY if they can give you at least 2 references. If you're having difficulty finding a Foundation or Excavation Contractor, ask your Municipal Inspector or Engineer for some names. Be SURE not to 'alarm' them with where you live. Just be polite and tell them you'd like to have someone look into your 'problem', where you may not even have one. Kinda like research. (Tell them everything is fine.)

You can stop by some job sites, ask an Architect (in the YELLOW PAGES) or ask a Structural Engineer (in the YELLOW PAGES) to see if they, or someone they know, can do this job.

Now, as far as you dripping problem, if the drip is at the handle or on the 'nut' that holds the valve on, you'll need to replace the washers. REPLACE BOTH OF THEM. (I'm assuming you have a Gate Valve. You know, the valves w/the 'rounded gate' wheels.) If, however, the leak is at a soldered joint or from a pin hole, you have work that may require a call to a Plumber, unless you or your hubby is up to it.

My best to ya and hope this helps.

Jay J -Moderator

PS: Yes, it will cost $$$ to have your home fixed. Talk to your Insurance Company too. Oh, you may hear the Contractor talk about piers. They're a good thing in unstable soils ...



Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.


type the code from the image


Post_new_button or Login_button

Even if you turn off your electronics whenever you're not using them, they continue to use energy until you unplug them. S... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... For some decorative recycling, consider burying old bottles upside down to create edging for your garden beds and walkways... Chocolate-colored walls and large window frames allow the exposed wood beams to take center stage in this small screened p... If you're not crazy about the idea of commingling plants and pool, this modern variation may be more to your liking. The s... Yes, a freestanding garage can become its own tiny house. Artist Michelle de la Vega has all the comforts of a modern resi... There’s nothing like a new set of cabinet hardware to refresh a room. The possibilities are endless: Go modern, rustic, or... Filling an underutilized area beneath the stairs is a smart way to save space. Doing so with a stash of wood, however, is ... Like no other floor type, a checkerboard design works wonders to underscore the retro kitchen theme. Vinyl flooring, ceram... Twine lanterns add pops of crafty—but sophisticated—flair to any outdoor setting. Wrap glue-soaked twine around a balloon ... When securely fastened to a tree or the ceiling of a porch, a pallet and some cushioning make the ideal place to lounge. V... Incorporate nature into your lighting scheme by securing a dead tree in a concrete mold and draping your pendant lamp from... For the cost of a can of exterior paint , you can totally transform your porch. Paint the floor a hue that complements yo... In this urban apartment, a standard-issue patio became a serene and green perch by replacing the typical concrete with gro... If you put the washing machine in the mudroom, you can stop the kids from walking through the house in dirty, grass-staine...
Newsletter_icon Google_plus Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss_icon