hi all, I'm a finish carpenter that's self taught. My question is regarding over the post stair rails. I do the trim work for a builder in my area and about 15% of the homes have open tread stairs and railings which I am tasked to build/construct. The railings I build are relatively simple L shaped systems with 1 or 2 turnouts at the bottom. I've done about 15 of these systems in my career having taught myself using L.J Smith's installation guide in the past for direction but have left that behind figuring the mechanics out and using my own methods.
What I would like to know from the pool of knowledge here is if there are tools on the market (sources requested plz) which can simplify cutting the easings and rail fixtures. What I'm looking for are jigs, clamps, etc. which can mark, and or hold these fittings as I cut them on my chop saw. Currently my method has been placing blocks on my saw stand and basically holding the fittings with my hand and using my eye to line up my cuts and keep it square.
I have heard of a tool kit called the Rail Buster ( I believe from L.J.Smith) but from memory this may have only been a tool to line up ballister holes etc.. not too sure here.
Are there tools on the market that can be used to mark and secure fittings and railings for cutting??
Thx in advance
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers