My grandparent's home is one that has been in the family since 1921. My husband and I may live there one day. Unfortunately, it has some serious problems.
It is a 2 story brick house built in the 1860s. When my grandfather moved in as an adult in the forties, the bricks had begun crumbling. With very little money to spend, he fixed it as he could, by filling the holes with concrete (!) and then painting the whole house to deter any further crumbling. He has kept it well over the years, repainting and repairing as necessary.
I was aghast, though,to go to the attic and see the walls. The plaster had fallen off and the bricks were turning to powder. I touched one on the chimney and probably 1/2 cup of powder glided to the floor.
Where does this piece of my family stand? Is there any hope for it?
I've wondered what happened, perhaps it was poorly fired bricks with bad outer surfaces. I then think, maybe there's no cure. I certainly hope that's not the case, though.
Any insight into what caused this and where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you all in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs