My grandparent's home is one that has been in the family since 1921. My husband and I may live there one day. Unfortunately, it has some serious problems.
It is a 2 story brick house built in the 1860s. When my grandfather moved in as an adult in the forties, the bricks had begun crumbling. With very little money to spend, he fixed it as he could, by filling the holes with concrete (!) and then painting the whole house to deter any further crumbling. He has kept it well over the years, repainting and repairing as necessary.
I was aghast, though,to go to the attic and see the walls. The plaster had fallen off and the bricks were turning to powder. I touched one on the chimney and probably 1/2 cup of powder glided to the floor.
Where does this piece of my family stand? Is there any hope for it?
I've wondered what happened, perhaps it was poorly fired bricks with bad outer surfaces. I then think, maybe there's no cure. I certainly hope that's not the case, though.
Any insight into what caused this and where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you all in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps