My grandparent's home is one that has been in the family since 1921. My husband and I may live there one day. Unfortunately, it has some serious problems.
It is a 2 story brick house built in the 1860s. When my grandfather moved in as an adult in the forties, the bricks had begun crumbling. With very little money to spend, he fixed it as he could, by filling the holes with concrete (!) and then painting the whole house to deter any further crumbling. He has kept it well over the years, repainting and repairing as necessary.
I was aghast, though,to go to the attic and see the walls. The plaster had fallen off and the bricks were turning to powder. I touched one on the chimney and probably 1/2 cup of powder glided to the floor.
Where does this piece of my family stand? Is there any hope for it?
I've wondered what happened, perhaps it was poorly fired bricks with bad outer surfaces. I then think, maybe there's no cure. I certainly hope that's not the case, though.
Any insight into what caused this and where to go from here would be greatly appreciated.
I thank you all in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs