Concrete Driveway Frost Heave
The concrete is too thin.
The concrete is the wrong mix.
There's no reinforcing, or insufficient reinforcing in the slabs.
There are insufficient, incorrectly constructed, and/or inadequate control joints, expansion joints, and construction joints in the slabs.
The base material isn't free-draining gravel.
The base gravel is too thin.
The base gravel wasn't compacted correctly.
The existing sub-base wasn't prepared correctly.
There may be other reasons, but the baloney about the slab "settling" into place is just that...baloney.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited April 09, 2003).]
Frost heave is just that,water expands when it freezes and creates a hydraulic pressure,lifting the slab, when it thaws the pressure is relived and the slab lowers.
This is a very serious problem mostly stemming from an impropper subbase. Your city/village should have codes regarding subbase prep. and they should have approved this.
DO NOT SETTLE FOR THIS SHODDY WORKMANSHOP!!!!
You will regret it later, if you have a high water table, the contractor should know this and compensated for it in the subbase(i.e open grade ca7 stone instead of ca6 gravel and fines).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes