Concrete Driveway Frost Heave
The concrete is too thin.
The concrete is the wrong mix.
There's no reinforcing, or insufficient reinforcing in the slabs.
There are insufficient, incorrectly constructed, and/or inadequate control joints, expansion joints, and construction joints in the slabs.
The base material isn't free-draining gravel.
The base gravel is too thin.
The base gravel wasn't compacted correctly.
The existing sub-base wasn't prepared correctly.
There may be other reasons, but the baloney about the slab "settling" into place is just that...baloney.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited April 09, 2003).]
Frost heave is just that,water expands when it freezes and creates a hydraulic pressure,lifting the slab, when it thaws the pressure is relived and the slab lowers.
This is a very serious problem mostly stemming from an impropper subbase. Your city/village should have codes regarding subbase prep. and they should have approved this.
DO NOT SETTLE FOR THIS SHODDY WORKMANSHOP!!!!
You will regret it later, if you have a high water table, the contractor should know this and compensated for it in the subbase(i.e open grade ca7 stone instead of ca6 gravel and fines).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs