Concrete Driveway Frost Heave
The concrete is too thin.
The concrete is the wrong mix.
There's no reinforcing, or insufficient reinforcing in the slabs.
There are insufficient, incorrectly constructed, and/or inadequate control joints, expansion joints, and construction joints in the slabs.
The base material isn't free-draining gravel.
The base gravel is too thin.
The base gravel wasn't compacted correctly.
The existing sub-base wasn't prepared correctly.
There may be other reasons, but the baloney about the slab "settling" into place is just that...baloney.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited April 09, 2003).]
Frost heave is just that,water expands when it freezes and creates a hydraulic pressure,lifting the slab, when it thaws the pressure is relived and the slab lowers.
This is a very serious problem mostly stemming from an impropper subbase. Your city/village should have codes regarding subbase prep. and they should have approved this.
DO NOT SETTLE FOR THIS SHODDY WORKMANSHOP!!!!
You will regret it later, if you have a high water table, the contractor should know this and compensated for it in the subbase(i.e open grade ca7 stone instead of ca6 gravel and fines).
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY