Concrete Driveway Frost Heave
The concrete is too thin.
The concrete is the wrong mix.
There's no reinforcing, or insufficient reinforcing in the slabs.
There are insufficient, incorrectly constructed, and/or inadequate control joints, expansion joints, and construction joints in the slabs.
The base material isn't free-draining gravel.
The base gravel is too thin.
The base gravel wasn't compacted correctly.
The existing sub-base wasn't prepared correctly.
There may be other reasons, but the baloney about the slab "settling" into place is just that...baloney.
[This message has been edited by treebeard (edited April 09, 2003).]
Frost heave is just that,water expands when it freezes and creates a hydraulic pressure,lifting the slab, when it thaws the pressure is relived and the slab lowers.
This is a very serious problem mostly stemming from an impropper subbase. Your city/village should have codes regarding subbase prep. and they should have approved this.
DO NOT SETTLE FOR THIS SHODDY WORKMANSHOP!!!!
You will regret it later, if you have a high water table, the contractor should know this and compensated for it in the subbase(i.e open grade ca7 stone instead of ca6 gravel and fines).
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide