I am about to stain my concrete floor with acid stain. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the deep, rich, almost 3-dimensional color tones I have seen in some samples as opposed to the superficial, paint-like tones I have seen in other samples.
The floor is an existing, 33 year-old sub-floor that was under carpet and that I am converting to the regular floor. It was covered in spills and stains from renovation, but I have stripped it with JASCO and even sanded most of the rough spots. It is still embedded with some unremovable discolorations and inconsistencies (some of which were caused by stripping and sanding to expose or create undiscolored spots), which I suspect will only enhance the final results. I have also patched some spots (carpet tack pull-ups) with cement over a month ago (fully cured by now).
It depends on which type of stain you are using. If you are looking for the "marbled" effect, I would suggest getting two different colors of stains and spraying them on with a garden pump sprayer. Many stains come too concentrated and need to be watered down a bit. The hardest part about staining (besides the prepping of the floor) is the cleaning of the residue. You need to let the acid stin do its work and it very important NOT to over apply the stain or you will never get up the residue. After you stain, you need to neutralize the stain with a 20% solution of water and ammonia. Mop and mop and mop up the residue until you no longer can get any on a rag-- Then you apply a sealer. There are many different types of sealers available depending on what you want. feel free to email me if you want to know what may be best for you.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight