I am about to stain my concrete floor with acid stain. Does anyone have any tips on how to get the deep, rich, almost 3-dimensional color tones I have seen in some samples as opposed to the superficial, paint-like tones I have seen in other samples.
The floor is an existing, 33 year-old sub-floor that was under carpet and that I am converting to the regular floor. It was covered in spills and stains from renovation, but I have stripped it with JASCO and even sanded most of the rough spots. It is still embedded with some unremovable discolorations and inconsistencies (some of which were caused by stripping and sanding to expose or create undiscolored spots), which I suspect will only enhance the final results. I have also patched some spots (carpet tack pull-ups) with cement over a month ago (fully cured by now).
It depends on which type of stain you are using. If you are looking for the "marbled" effect, I would suggest getting two different colors of stains and spraying them on with a garden pump sprayer. Many stains come too concentrated and need to be watered down a bit. The hardest part about staining (besides the prepping of the floor) is the cleaning of the residue. You need to let the acid stin do its work and it very important NOT to over apply the stain or you will never get up the residue. After you stain, you need to neutralize the stain with a 20% solution of water and ammonia. Mop and mop and mop up the residue until you no longer can get any on a rag-- Then you apply a sealer. There are many different types of sealers available depending on what you want. feel free to email me if you want to know what may be best for you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!