Fiber reinforcement will usually take the place of standard welded wire fabric but will not replace any required rebar.
The plastic underneath is to keep moisture from entering the concrete from below. If you want a dry floor the plastic will help. To insure it does stay dry you should also use a stone base under the slab.
The plastic will also help maintain the moisture level in the concrete as it cures resulting in stronger concrete. A layer of plastic should also be placed on top of the concrete as soon as it is finished and left in place for 30 days for the same reason.
[This message has been edited by Glenn Good (edited September 19, 2003).]
I would suggest you use a stone base and 6-mil polyethylene vapor barrier though to keep moisture out of the floor to help prevent rusting at the base of your equipment.
PS In case anyone is wondering, I recently changed my screen name. It was formerly GlennG.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!