Fiber reinforcement will usually take the place of standard welded wire fabric but will not replace any required rebar.
The plastic underneath is to keep moisture from entering the concrete from below. If you want a dry floor the plastic will help. To insure it does stay dry you should also use a stone base under the slab.
The plastic will also help maintain the moisture level in the concrete as it cures resulting in stronger concrete. A layer of plastic should also be placed on top of the concrete as soon as it is finished and left in place for 30 days for the same reason.
[This message has been edited by Glenn Good (edited September 19, 2003).]
I would suggest you use a stone base and 6-mil polyethylene vapor barrier though to keep moisture out of the floor to help prevent rusting at the base of your equipment.
PS In case anyone is wondering, I recently changed my screen name. It was formerly GlennG.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees