Fiber reinforcement will usually take the place of standard welded wire fabric but will not replace any required rebar.
The plastic underneath is to keep moisture from entering the concrete from below. If you want a dry floor the plastic will help. To insure it does stay dry you should also use a stone base under the slab.
The plastic will also help maintain the moisture level in the concrete as it cures resulting in stronger concrete. A layer of plastic should also be placed on top of the concrete as soon as it is finished and left in place for 30 days for the same reason.
[This message has been edited by Glenn Good (edited September 19, 2003).]
I would suggest you use a stone base and 6-mil polyethylene vapor barrier though to keep moisture out of the floor to help prevent rusting at the base of your equipment.
PS In case anyone is wondering, I recently changed my screen name. It was formerly GlennG.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Celebrity Kitchens: Get the Look
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs