Fiber reinforcement will usually take the place of standard welded wire fabric but will not replace any required rebar.
The plastic underneath is to keep moisture from entering the concrete from below. If you want a dry floor the plastic will help. To insure it does stay dry you should also use a stone base under the slab.
The plastic will also help maintain the moisture level in the concrete as it cures resulting in stronger concrete. A layer of plastic should also be placed on top of the concrete as soon as it is finished and left in place for 30 days for the same reason.
[This message has been edited by Glenn Good (edited September 19, 2003).]
I would suggest you use a stone base and 6-mil polyethylene vapor barrier though to keep moisture out of the floor to help prevent rusting at the base of your equipment.
PS In case anyone is wondering, I recently changed my screen name. It was formerly GlennG.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps