Concrete floor sealants
would be appreciated. Clear sealer seems like it would be easier to apply but I've no idea which material is more durable, provides better traction, is low maintenance and resist stains from oil better, etc. Thanks for you help.
A clear sealer will work fine but use a high quality brand. It will require at least 3 coats to obtain a good durable seal. This sealer will NOT be antiskid and could be slippery when wet.
Olympic makes a silicone based sealer that penetrates into the concrete. I have used it on a recent project but I am unsure of the durability factor. It leaves the concrete looking as though it is unsealed and therefore the surface is ‚Äúsomewhat‚Äù skid resistant. It seams to repeal water fairly well but I am unsure of its ability to withstand staining.
For a better finish use 2-part epoxy paint along with an antiskid additive like crushed walnut shells. This will provide a very durable surface that is antiskid and stain and chemical resistant. The only drawback is that most epoxy paints do not handle UV radiation well, so if you plan to leave your garage door open for extended lengths of time leaving the floor exposed to direct sunlight you may want to check with the manufacturer first. We use this finish on many commercial shop floors and garage floors.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight