Concrete floor sealants
would be appreciated. Clear sealer seems like it would be easier to apply but I've no idea which material is more durable, provides better traction, is low maintenance and resist stains from oil better, etc. Thanks for you help.
A clear sealer will work fine but use a high quality brand. It will require at least 3 coats to obtain a good durable seal. This sealer will NOT be antiskid and could be slippery when wet.
Olympic makes a silicone based sealer that penetrates into the concrete. I have used it on a recent project but I am unsure of the durability factor. It leaves the concrete looking as though it is unsealed and therefore the surface is ‚Äúsomewhat‚Äù skid resistant. It seams to repeal water fairly well but I am unsure of its ability to withstand staining.
For a better finish use 2-part epoxy paint along with an antiskid additive like crushed walnut shells. This will provide a very durable surface that is antiskid and stain and chemical resistant. The only drawback is that most epoxy paints do not handle UV radiation well, so if you plan to leave your garage door open for extended lengths of time leaving the floor exposed to direct sunlight you may want to check with the manufacturer first. We use this finish on many commercial shop floors and garage floors.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love