Can concrete footings & basement walls be poured at temp below 32
It is recommended to keep concrete above 40 degrees. With the proper insulation covering all areas exposed to the cold it will maintain this temperature in most cases. Keep in mind that this insulation must extend below the frost line as well. Rigid polystyrene foam insulation board can be used below the grade and left in place. The warmer the weather the less insulation required.
It is also important to keep the moisture in the concrete as it cures. To do this you can cover it with polyethylene and seal or tape all joints, or spray it with a heavy coat of concrete sealing compound such as "Cure and Seal". Freezing and rapid drying are the 2 main problems you need to be concerned about.
You may also want to try to keep track of is the amount of water in the concrete and the time it is poured. Concrete should be placed within 1 hour after it leaves the plant. The "slump" test is used to determine the amount of liquid in the concrete. Concrete should not be poured over a 4" slump. The lower the slump the less water in the mix and the stronger the concrete will be. Excess amounts of water cause the concrete to shrink more as it cures and as a result stress cracks will begin to form and weaken it.
Another item I should mention is the addition of calcium to the mix. This is often used in cold weather pours to accelerate the curing time and prevent freezing. The one major draw back with using calcium (and many other accelerators) is they have a tendency to deteriorate or oxidize (rust) the reinforcing steel that is used in the concrete. Chances are you will have steel rebar in your foundation and I would advise you do not permit the use of accelerators in the concrete mix. This will mean they will HAVE to use insulation to protect the concrete from freezing but you will get a stronger product that will last longer.
I hope this helps,
Glenn Good www.consultationdirect.com
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes