I have a 50+ yr old home made of concrete block. We put new vinyl replacement windows in it just after moving. So far our heating bill has not been too bad except for the last one which jumped $30 which I think has something to do with the price of gas now.
I am wondering if it would be economical to put vinyl siding on the house. I want to do it for asthetical reasons as well as to be more energy efficient. All the houses in our neighborhood have siding and ours sticks out like a sore thumb. Either we have to put siding on or get real stucco put on because whom ever did it in the first place, did a terrible diy job.
I have heard that concrete block houses are cool in the summer (this is very true for our house-I wouldn't us air cond. if we had it) and warm in the winter. At 68 it still is a little chilly. By the way I live in Michigan were the winters are pretty cold. Monday it was 7 degrees!
Please help me in my decision
Vinyl siding over foam insulation board
Installing hardi plank siding over asbestos siding?
siding over concrete
Wood over concrete - deck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects