I have a 50+ yr old home made of concrete block. We put new vinyl replacement windows in it just after moving. So far our heating bill has not been too bad except for the last one which jumped $30 which I think has something to do with the price of gas now.
I am wondering if it would be economical to put vinyl siding on the house. I want to do it for asthetical reasons as well as to be more energy efficient. All the houses in our neighborhood have siding and ours sticks out like a sore thumb. Either we have to put siding on or get real stucco put on because whom ever did it in the first place, did a terrible diy job.
I have heard that concrete block houses are cool in the summer (this is very true for our house-I wouldn't us air cond. if we had it) and warm in the winter. At 68 it still is a little chilly. By the way I live in Michigan were the winters are pretty cold. Monday it was 7 degrees!
Please help me in my decision
Vinyl siding over foam insulation board
Installing hardi plank siding over asbestos siding?
siding over concrete
Wood over concrete - deck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!