I have a 50+ yr old home made of concrete block. We put new vinyl replacement windows in it just after moving. So far our heating bill has not been too bad except for the last one which jumped $30 which I think has something to do with the price of gas now.
I am wondering if it would be economical to put vinyl siding on the house. I want to do it for asthetical reasons as well as to be more energy efficient. All the houses in our neighborhood have siding and ours sticks out like a sore thumb. Either we have to put siding on or get real stucco put on because whom ever did it in the first place, did a terrible diy job.
I have heard that concrete block houses are cool in the summer (this is very true for our house-I wouldn't us air cond. if we had it) and warm in the winter. At 68 it still is a little chilly. By the way I live in Michigan were the winters are pretty cold. Monday it was 7 degrees!
Please help me in my decision
Vinyl siding over foam insulation board
Installing hardi plank siding over asbestos siding?
siding over concrete
Wood over concrete - deck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes