I'm having a paver patio built in addition to a brick/block landing and set of stairs. I'd like to have one contractor do the entire job to help make sure it matches well. The problem I'm having is that I clearly need a mason for the stairs and landing, which is 4 feet high. All of the masons I've talked to strongly prefer to set the patio in concrete. On the other hand, landscapers and garden centers will only do it in stone and stone dust and won't touch the other half of the job.
I plan to stay in the house for less than 5 years and am located in northern VA, so freezing isn't that big of an issue. The masons claim that it will be maintenance free and last forever, but it's a around $2k more. My question is whether it's worth it or not?? I would think that if maintenance is needed on concrete it's much harder as opposed to reseting a paver. I can picture something heavy cracking a brick or water getting under and cracking it.
Any advice or thoughts are greatly appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!