I have a home from about 1910 that is all brick. In my kitchen under 2 of the windows, the plaster is peeling off. When I look on the outside of the house in those problem areas, there is moss growing on the brick. Could this be the problem? Has the brick been compromised is some way and is affecting the plaster? If so, how do I get rid of the moss? There is nothing next to the house ie. shrubbery, plant material that could be contributing to the growth. Would I need to replace that brick? Hopefully someone out there has advice -- help!!
I used to live in an older home with a similar problem, but instead of moss, I had mushrooms growing. It sounds to me that the moss is growing on a brick around a window, which would indicate to me that you have a sealant failure around the window, allowing moisture to enter. The brick itself doesn't really contain anything for plant life to sustain itself, but it will absorb a small amount of moisture. If rain is getting in and penetrating the wood around the window, and the sun is not able to dry the area out sufficiently, you will be seeing indications of water damage - plant growth is one of them. My advice is to look closely at the area around the brick for possible leaks and seal them up. Scraping the moss off will take care of the immediate moss problem, but not what is causing it in the first place. Be aware that water also causes mold, which could be harmful. I don't know if you have a brick facade with a 2x4 interior, but that could be a great hiding place for mold.
we have brick home. on the north exposure (the shaded side) the bricks are "green" where the downspout leaks and where the gutters have a tendency to drip or overflow. I discovered last year that a light solution of regular bleach mixed in water, in a spray bottle, sprayed lightly over the surface and then brushed and hour or so later with a heavy wire brush and hosed with heavy water spray did wonders for the green growth (it is gone) and did not appear to do any harm to the brick.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers