I have a home from about 1910 that is all brick. In my kitchen under 2 of the windows, the plaster is peeling off. When I look on the outside of the house in those problem areas, there is moss growing on the brick. Could this be the problem? Has the brick been compromised is some way and is affecting the plaster? If so, how do I get rid of the moss? There is nothing next to the house ie. shrubbery, plant material that could be contributing to the growth. Would I need to replace that brick? Hopefully someone out there has advice -- help!!
I used to live in an older home with a similar problem, but instead of moss, I had mushrooms growing. It sounds to me that the moss is growing on a brick around a window, which would indicate to me that you have a sealant failure around the window, allowing moisture to enter. The brick itself doesn't really contain anything for plant life to sustain itself, but it will absorb a small amount of moisture. If rain is getting in and penetrating the wood around the window, and the sun is not able to dry the area out sufficiently, you will be seeing indications of water damage - plant growth is one of them. My advice is to look closely at the area around the brick for possible leaks and seal them up. Scraping the moss off will take care of the immediate moss problem, but not what is causing it in the first place. Be aware that water also causes mold, which could be harmful. I don't know if you have a brick facade with a 2x4 interior, but that could be a great hiding place for mold.
we have brick home. on the north exposure (the shaded side) the bricks are "green" where the downspout leaks and where the gutters have a tendency to drip or overflow. I discovered last year that a light solution of regular bleach mixed in water, in a spray bottle, sprayed lightly over the surface and then brushed and hour or so later with a heavy wire brush and hosed with heavy water spray did wonders for the green growth (it is gone) and did not appear to do any harm to the brick.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING