I have a living room fireplace with a brick hearth that was painted white. A few years ago I had a leak in the roof close to where the chimney is. The chimney was built so that part is exposed outside the house and part is inside the house.
When the leak started the water ran down the side of the chimney inside the house and damaged the plaster along the sides of the hearth. The paint on the bricks began to bubble out.
The leak has been fixed, but the bricks still seem to still retain some moisture.
Waht can I do? Should I have the hearth torn out & built new? There was also moisture in the fire box, so I wondered if this area is damaged & should be rebuilt as well.
Any ideas of where to start?
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries